NBA All-Star Weekend A Chance For Luxury Brands To Flex Their Muscles
The NBA All-Star Game has "become about way more than just basketball -- and brands from luxury to food are tapping into" the weekend with "events, activations, parties and more," according to Obi Anyanwu of WOMEN'S WEAR DAILY. For brands, the game itself is "almost an after thought," for it is the preliminary activities that "matter, allowing them to connect with their customer base through sneakers and other memorabilia." Among the NBA All-Star Weekend partnerships and activations:
- Diamond Supply Co. is "partnering with the NBA for 'Space Jam,' marking the first time the league and the basketball-themed film have come together."
- Gucci is "opening a pop-up" and will offer its GG Psychedelic Collection that "includes clothing, sneakers and a basketball, among other accessories."
- StockX is "hosting a three-day exhibition entitled 'To the Game, Love Chicago' at Don C’s RSVP Gallery that will include panels and workshops."
- Watch brand Roger Dubuis is "not launching product over All-Star Weekend, but is taking part in the festivities by hosting a dinner on behalf of New Era and South Bronx art gallery The Compound's."
- Mitchell & Ness, a "fixture of NBA All-Star Weekend," is "hosting a pop-up on State Street, and will feature collaborations with GLD, an accessories label that made 22 NBA team pendants, and Alpha Industries" (WWD.com, 2/14).