Group Created with Sketch.
Volume 26 No. 227
  • Created with Sketch.
  • Created with Sketch.
  • Created with Sketch.

MLB Giants Cutting Season-Ticket Prices Amid Attendance Decline

The Giants average attendance this year of 33,550 marks about a 14% drop from last season
Photo: GETTY IMAGES
The Giants average attendance this year of 33,550 marks about a 14% drop from last season
Photo: GETTY IMAGES
The Giants average attendance this year of 33,550 marks about a 14% drop from last season
Photo: GETTY IMAGES

The MLB Giants are "lowering season-ticket prices on a widespread scale -- and offering other fan-friendly inducements in response to declining attendance," according to Ron Kroichick of the S.F. CHRONICLE. In addition to "reducing the cost of 80% of season tickets" for the '20 season, the Giants are "offering a 'signing bonus' for customers who renew by Oct. 10; allowing fans to roll tickets for up to eight games" into '21. The amount of the ticket-price reduction "varies based on the location of seats." But Giants Senior VP/Ticket Sales & Services Russ Stanley said that it "will be as high as 21% in the 'view infield' section and the back rows of the bleachers." Another 15% of ticket prices at Oracle Park will "remain unchanged for the '20 season, meaning the Giants will not raise prices on 95% of their seats." They will "boost prices on the remaining 5%, mostly for prime spots behind home plate." This "broad reduction" comes with the Giants "on the verge of missing the playoffs for the third consecutive season." Their average attendance of 33,550 "marks a 13.9% drop from last season, when the average was 38,965, and a 19.5% drop" from '15, when the average was 41,678. The Giants "sold 26,000 full season-ticket plans this season ... down from a high point of 30,000" in '16, the last time the team reached the playoffs (S.F. CHRONICLE, 9/6).