Gimelstob's Place In Tennis Still To Be Determined Amid Legal Issues
Tennis Channel analyst and ATP BOD member JUSTIN GIMELSTOB pleaded no contest Monday to felony battery for his part in a "physical altercation" on Halloween night last year, and now his employers in tennis have to "decide how to respond," according to Cindy Shmerler of the N.Y. TIMES. Many believe that this should "end his career in tennis leadership," even though Gimelstob has been "considered one of the most influential men in tennis" for several years. He has also been mentioned as a "possible successor" to outgoing ATP President & Exec Chair CHRIS KERMODE. Despite Gimelstob’s legal troubles, he is "still held in high regard by some top players and television executives." The ATP BOD, for which he is "one of three player representatives, did not remove him when it had the chance in December." The ATP said of Gimelstob’s status, “The decision was taken to let the judicial process run its course before any judgment was made on his future." Shmerler notes after Gimelstob’s arrest in November, he was granted a leave of absence from Tennis Channel. But he said that he would be back on the air "as soon as his case was resolved." Meanwhile, one tennis governing body acted against Gimelstob yesterday, as the All England Lawn Tennis Club said he "would not be asked to play in the invitational doubles tournament" in '19 (N.Y. TIMES, 4/24).