Group Created with Sketch.
Volume 25 No. 239
  • Created with Sketch.
  • Created with Sketch.
  • Created with Sketch.

A Day In The Life With Major League Fishing's Randy White

Major League Fishing wants to bring professional bass fishing mainstream, and MLF Exec Producer RANDY WHITE plays an integral role in that vision. White has been helping capture the world of outdoor sports for TV viewers since the early ‘90s. He recently took some time away from the water to walk THE DAILY through what a typical day looks like during one of MLF’s Cup events.

4:30-5:30am: I’ll wake up typically around 4:30am but it really depends on where we are and the time of day because we are always racing the sunrise to get everything prepped. 

5:00-5:30am: I’ll get down to the boatyard and have a cup of coffee and check on my crew and see how they’re doing. This is kind of the quiet part of my day. You get a chance to check in with some of the boat officials and just kind of see how things are going before the real work starts happening. 

5:30-6:00am: We go wheels up. This is kind of our whole caravan of boats and service vehicles. Everybody kind of caravans off to the ramp. I typically try to get out 10 minutes before everyone else so I can make sure everything is set at the ramp and get prepared for when the competitors roll in. We usually have a skeleton crew out there getting all the cameras set up in place so we can cover everything when they come in.

Early in the morning, White (r) will meet with anglers to go over rules or zones they need to know

6:00-7:00am: When the anglers arrive, I am really introducing them to where they are in the world. I show them a map of the lake or the fishery we’re at that day and give them any rules, orders or zones they need to know. They spend probably another 45 minutes prepping gear and getting their locators and electronics setup. My crew is out covering it and getting shots of the anglers prepping, all (MLF President JIM WILBURN’s) sponsors, the deliverables, the trailer hitches and everything else. After I hand out all of the maps and get that work done, I get a chance to eat. We always bring out a bunch of breakfast and cater everything.

7:00-8:00am: The boats are in the water and we get ready for lines in. All the competitors get about 30 minutes to look at the body of water and look at the lake before they start the competition. I get to drive back from the ramp to my set location, which is typically a little bit closer to the host hotel. It’s not unusual for the lake to be 45 minutes to an hour away from the hotel or my set where we produce our show during the day. I actually enjoy that drive because it is a little bit of quiet time.

8:00am-12:00pm: I get back to the set and for the next eight hours we’re there working and prepping my talent. We shoot a full day’s worth of resets, updates, chasing story lines and kind of the ins and outs for all the commercial breaks. A lot of times by the time I get to the set the competition has actually begun. It’s a lot of hurry up and wait on the set.

12:00pm: We have one of our boat officials who is in charge of all of our food. He goes and picks up lunch for everybody. That includes everyone at the ramp, all the anglers and camera men. He’ll stop by the set first and drop off lunch. We just squeeze in lunch between takes.

12:00-4:00pm: Once again, I’m working with Jim and making sure all of his sponsors are covered and making sure we cover all those deliverables on the sponsor end.

4:00-6:00pm:After the game is over it’s time to head back to the hotel. One of my jobs is to make sure everybody knows what assignments they have for the next day. I sit there and work with our service crew to make sure that all the boats are good to go and nothing got damaged. I let all of the anglers know what boats they are going to be getting into the next day and let all of my camera guys know which angler they are going to be with.

6:00-7:00pm: We will locate a hotel meeting room and hold an angler meeting for the next group. The anglers, commissioner and boat officials come in and we give them all a quick outline of what to expect the next day. I always remind the guys what they should be doing to interact with the cameras, crew and sponsorship mentions -- who they should be talking about and who they shouldn’t. 

7:00-8:00pm: I get back to my room and finish up any assignments I need to do. Then I get to do a little bit of an inventory of all the media that was shot during the day. I also go through some calculations on points from the event. During all this time my other key producers are in other rooms shooting post-game interviews with the anglers. 

8:00-9:00pm:Once the other producers are done shooting interviews, they will all come back to my room and we’ll have a final production meeting. Then we finally get to go to dinner and have a few drinks before we head back to the room and hit the sack.

9:00pm: Depends on how busy the day is or how many drinks I have, but I like to be in bed by 9:00. Sometimes it’s more like 10:00. 

Know of someone who should be featured in "A Day in the Life"? Send a note to