49ers Holding Foster Out Of Team Activities Amid Increasing Criticism
The 49ers said that LB Reuben Foster "would not participate in team activities" after being charged with felony domestic violence last week, meaning he will not be present when the team begins its offseason program this week, according to Eric Branch of the S.F. CHRONICLE. The team in a statement said Foster "will not participate in any football-related activities while the legal process unfolds, but the 49ers could set up external resources or support if he remains in the Bay Area, which he is expected to do." In the aftermath of Friday’s charges, the 49ers have "absorbed criticism for not releasing Foster," though the decision to ban him from team activities "does not suggest they have changed their stance on how they view his case" (S.F. CHRONICLE, 4/16). In DC, Des Bieler writes the longer GM John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan "keep a roster spot for Foster, who has a hearing on April 30, the more likely they are to face pointed questions about what behavior they do and don’t find unacceptable." However, by issuing the 24-year-old "what amounts to an unofficial suspension, they are avoiding some public-relations headaches that would be caused by the sight of Foster at 49ers workouts" (WASHINGTON POST, 4/16). THE MMQB's Peter King writes the 49ers "can justify the Foster [draft] pick as swinging and missing for a potential franchise linebacker." But the "lesson for Lynch now, with the recent spate of rap-sheet Niners, is he's got to pick Eagle Scouts." King: "This franchise has erred with risky players once too often, and for a while, they're going to have to pick totally clean players" (SI.com, 4/16).