Going Off The Grid: Execs Pick Their Bracket Champs, Pitch "30 For 30" Stories
"Going Off The Grid" is a weekly survey of sports execs and personalities offering their thoughts on a handful of pressing (and trivial) issues in sports and pop culture. This week, our panel sounds off on Oscar snubs, pitches their own "30 for 30" ideas and forecasts the NCAA Tournament.
- USA Baseball COO David Perkins
– He's on Twitter 24/7/365.
- LST Marketing CEO John Lopes
– Referring to Kevin Spacey's character in "House of Cards," he likes to ask, "What would Frank do?"
- Accelerate Sports Founder & CEO Brent Lawrence
– "SNL" helps keep him current on pop culture.
- Vanderbilt Associate Vice Chancellor & Deputy AD Candice Lee
– Gets her pop culture news from Twitter and banter with colleagues.
|Going Off The Grid|
|Predict the NCAA tourney champion||Most egregious Oscars snub||3-4 words on the new 6:00pm "SportsCenter"||Superior dip: hummus, salsa or guacamole?||Story that should have its own "30 for 30" film|
|Arizona||"The Shawshank Redemption" not winning Best Picture in '94||Still haven't seen it||Salsa with cilantro||Story of Stephen Reich -- USA Baseball alumnus killed in action in Afghanistan in '05|
|Duke||Tom Hanks for "Sully"||"Da Da Da"||Salsa sans the cilantro||Army-Navy in '84. Players went on to distinguished military careers, risked it all for their country|
|Duke||Vlade Divac for years of exceptional flopping||Energized, sharp, fun||My hometown San Diego Guac!||"Greatest Shooters" with West, Bird, Reggie, Steph, etc.|
|UConn women||Denzel Washington in "Fences"||Hip, appealing, diverse||Hummus||Alice Coachman, track & field phenom. First African-American to win an Olympic medal ('48)|
Do you want to get your thoughts in the Grid? If so, shoot an e-mail to email@example.com.