Going Off The Grid: NBA All-Star Panelists Discuss Biggest Issues Facing League
"Going Off The Grid" is a weekly survey of sports execs and personalities offering their thoughts on a handful of pressing (and trivial) issues in sports and pop culture. With the NBA All-Star Game headed to The Big Easy this weekend, our panelists discuss the biggest issues facing the league and weigh in on international expansion.
- TNT's Kenny Smith
– His favorite basketball movie is "Cornbread, Earl and Me."
- State Farm Advertising Dir Ed Gold
– Loves movies, primarily action and comedies. His go-to mindless TV show is "American Pickers."
- New Orleans Times-Picayune Pelicans beat writer John Reid
– Enjoys '80s music -- Loose Ends, New Edition and Kashif.
- Smoothie King Center GM Alan Freeman
– Tries to stay informed about trends in pop culture -- not an easy task with technology evolving daily.
|Going Off The Grid|
|Future NBA franchise - Mexico City or London?||The biggest issue facing the NBA is...||Most memorable dunk/dunker at the All-Star Game||Moving the ASG from Charlotte to New Orleans was...||An untapped All-Star Game market|
|London||There isn't a negative issue facing the league - it's in a great space right now||Chris "Birdman" Andersen||Ahead of the curve||Miami hasn't hosted in a while - everything there is centrally located|
|Overseas travel is tough - Mexico City||Maintaining the positive momentum in the league||I'm a Chicago guy, so gotta go MJ from the free throw line||Very difficult, but I appreciate Adam Silver putting the NBA's conviction into action||I'm ready to head to Memphis!|
||It's becoming strictly a 3-point shooting contest - get back to the basics||Dwight Howard - still see him soaring with that Superman cape||A strong move by the NBA||Portland - nice arena, nice area|
|Hard to see how a standalone European team would work with scheduling||Sports in general are overexposed||Dwight
Howard when he donned the Superman outfit
|A tough loss for Charlotte||The NBA has expressed a desire to return to Charlotte - a great idea|
Do you want to get your thoughts in the Grid? If so, shoot an e-mail to email@example.com.