Peter C. White
Global Co-Chair, Media, Sport and Entertainment Sector
1251 Avenue of the Americas, New York, New York, 10020-1104, United States
T: +1 212 335 4555 F: +1 212 884 8655 M: +1 516 524 0927
St. John's University School of Law (1984) J.D.
Adelphi University (1980) B.A.
Peter White has over 25 years of experience in the professional sports business, representing various parties in commercial, development, financing, corporate and M&A transactions, as well as contentious matters, involving the world's major sports leagues, including Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, the National Football League, the National Hockey League, Major League Soccer, England's Premier League, Spain's La Liga, Italy's Lega Serie A and the Australian Football League.
Over the years, Peter has gained significant experience representing teams, owners, banks, investors and other parties in the development and financing of sports properties, including leagues, clubs, media interests, stadiums, arenas, concessions and related assets.
As Global Co-Chair of the firm's Media, Sport and Entertainment Sector, Peter helps coordinate the firm's financing, M&A, sponsorship, development, major events and disputes practices in this sector around the world and manages significant client relationships.
In particular, Peter has been active in the acquisition, development and financing of the development or redevelopment of stadiums and arenas for prominent teams such as MLB's Braves, Dodgers, Cubs, Mets, Twins and Yankees, the NBA's Bucks, Kings, Heat, Magic and Nets, the NFL's Chargers, Vikings, 49ers, Bills, Giants, Jets, Packers and Patriots, the NHL's Sabres, Premier League’s Tottenham Hotspur, the Australian Football League and Serie A's AS Roma.
Among the recent transactions he has led, aggregating more than US$9 billion, are the financing of a controlling interest in the Chicago Cubs, Wrigley Field and related assets for the Ricketts family; the US Bank Stadium for the Minnesota Vikings, Levis Stadium for the San Francisco 49ers; MetLife Stadium for the New York Giants and New York Jets (Project Finance magazine's North American 2007 Leisure Deal of the Year); the new arena for the Milwaukee Bucks, Golden1 Center for the Sacramento Kings, Barclays Center for the Brooklyn Nets, Amway Center for the Orlando Magic; Citifield for the New York Mets and the new Yankee Stadium for the New York Yankees (Bond Buyer's 2006 Deal of the Year); and Target Field for the Minnesota Twins.
PRESENTATIONS AND SEMINARS
- Co-Presenter, "Stadium Financing," DLA Piper's Media, Sport and Entertainment Seminar, Stockholm Sweden (November 12, 2018)
- Moderator, "The Convergence of Sports and Technology," 2018 DLA Piper Technology Summit, Menlo Park, California (October 9, 2018)
- Co-Moderator, "The Future of the Beautiful Game: Rights, Reform and Expansion," 2017 CAA World Congress of Sports, Dana Point, California (April 20, 2017)
- Advisor Committee Member, The Vatican's Sport at the Service of Humanity Conference, The Vatican (October 5-7, 2016)
- Co-Moderator, ''Investing in Sports on a Global Scale: Where is the Unrealized Value?'' 2016 CAA World Congress of Sports, Los Angeles, California (April 14, 2016)
- Co-Moderator, "Building Brands Beyond Borders: Turning Sports Properties and Events into Global Entities," 2015 IMG World Congress of Sports, Los Angeles, California (April 9, 2015)
- Presenter, ''Lessons from North America: Stadium & Arena Finance & Revenues,'' The Stadium Business' 3rd Annual Design and Development Summit 2014, Madrid, Spain (October 30, 2014)
- Panelist, "Stadium Financing & Development," Brewer Sports Symposium V, Miami, Florida (April 24, 2014)
- Co-Moderator, "Brazil in the Spotlight: World Cup 2014, Olympics 2016 and What it Means to Sports Business in Brazil and Companies Around the World," 2014 IMG World Congress of Sports, Dana Point, California (March 19, 2014)
- Moderator, "The Emergence of India Professional Sports," US-India Business Council's Sports & Entertainment Conference, New York, New York (October 17, 2013)
- Panelist, "The Law on Stadia In Extra Time," Expo Italia Real Estate, Milan, Italy (June 6, 2013)
- Panelist, "Career in Sports," The Inaugural Cardozo Sports Law Symposium, New York, New York (April 23, 2013)
- Speaker, "Finding Investors for Project Engagement," Russia Stadium Build & Technology Summit, Moscow, Russia (April 12, 2013)
- Co-Moderator, "The Globalization of the Beautiful Game: Building Brands Beyond Borders," 2013 IMG World Congress of Sports, Naples, Florida (April 4, 2013)
- Co-Moderator, "Keep Them Coming Back: The Next Generation Venue Experience," 2012 IMG World Congress of Sports, Dana Point, California (March 21, 2012)
Peter has been repeatedly recognized in Chambers USA, in which clients have reported that he is "preeminent on financing deals" and "has a fulsome knowledge of the sports space and tremendous relationships in the industry which help in getting transactions done." The directory has noted that Peter "is well regarded by peers and clients" who have lauded his "unparalleled domestic and international experience," and "has a tremendous track record in the financing and development of stadia for both domestic and international sports leagues." One industry source described him as "the guru for stadium and arena financing."
Peter has also drawn recognition from The Legal 500 United States, which called him a "renowned 'industry leader,'" "innovative," "never daunted by impossible odds" and "particularly good at structuring complex financings with multiple liens and tiers." He is also recognized as a New York Super Lawyer, 2015 New York Metro Super Lawyer and has been named Dealmaker of the Year by American Lawyer.