SBJ: Network positioning ESPN2 as stand-alone SBD: ESPN.com Set To Unveil Site Redesign SBD: Ray Lewis Criticized For Favoring Ravens SBD: CSN Houston Sale Would Affect 75 Jobs SBD: CBS Nixes Rihanna From "TNF" Opening SBD: Boston Could Have Edge In '24 Bid SBD: Could DC Olympic Stadium Be 'Skins New Home? SBD: Francesa Claims CBS Threatened Lawsuit SBD: Broncos-Seahawks Boosts Week 3 Overnights SBJ: Islanders look back and to future
Instagram, snowboarder McMorris lead in social media engagement
February 13, 2014 06:45 PM
|Canadian snowboarder Mark McMorris has led the way in terms of new followers and fan interactions.
Hookit tracked 592 athletes on social media in the first week, and they combined to have more than 21 million fans over the three main social networks. In contrast to the engagement numbers, almost 45 percent of fans are on Twitter, 40.9 percent on Facebook and 14.3 percent are on Instagram.
A deeper look into social media data compiled by Hookit during the first week of the Sochi Games shows that Canadian snowboarder Mark McMorris has been the most popular with new followers and fan interactions. McMorris, a bronze-medal winner in slopestyle, had the most-liked photo on Instagram and four of the top five.
TOP 10 ATHLETES BY TOTAL FAN INTERACTIONS
1. Mark McMorris (Canada) — 707,691 interactions
2. Shaun White (U.S.) — 535,587
3. Sven Kramer (Netherlands) — 353,169
4. Julia Mancuso (U.S.) — 293,209
5. Sage Kotsenburg (U.S.) — 288,230
6. Jamie Anderson (U.S.) — 274,009
7. Silje Norendal (Norway) — 238,311
8. Marcel Hirscher (Austria) — 237,725
9. Justine Dufour-Lapointe (Canada) — 207,408
10. Stale Sandbech (Norway) — 195,619