SBJ: NFL, DirecTV on verge of Ticket deal SBD: CBS Sports Unveils All-Female Talk Show SBD: NFL, DirecTV Nearing Deal For Sunday Ticket SBJ: USAT group opens SEC portal SBD: Fisher Angry Over ESPN's Sam Report SBD: ABC Gets 3.5 Overnight For LLWS Title Game SBG: Sochi Olympic Site 'Completely Empty' SBD: App Review: MLB At The Ballpark For iPhone SBJ: NFL: No quick call on Thursday expected SBJ: CBS preps for final Open
Instagram, snowboarder McMorris lead in social media engagement
February 13, 2014 06:45 PM
|Canadian snowboarder Mark McMorris has led the way in terms of new followers and fan interactions.
Hookit tracked 592 athletes on social media in the first week, and they combined to have more than 21 million fans over the three main social networks. In contrast to the engagement numbers, almost 45 percent of fans are on Twitter, 40.9 percent on Facebook and 14.3 percent are on Instagram.
A deeper look into social media data compiled by Hookit during the first week of the Sochi Games shows that Canadian snowboarder Mark McMorris has been the most popular with new followers and fan interactions. McMorris, a bronze-medal winner in slopestyle, had the most-liked photo on Instagram and four of the top five.
TOP 10 ATHLETES BY TOTAL FAN INTERACTIONS
1. Mark McMorris (Canada) — 707,691 interactions
2. Shaun White (U.S.) — 535,587
3. Sven Kramer (Netherlands) — 353,169
4. Julia Mancuso (U.S.) — 293,209
5. Sage Kotsenburg (U.S.) — 288,230
6. Jamie Anderson (U.S.) — 274,009
7. Silje Norendal (Norway) — 238,311
8. Marcel Hirscher (Austria) — 237,725
9. Justine Dufour-Lapointe (Canada) — 207,408
10. Stale Sandbech (Norway) — 195,619