Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBJ/October 8-14, 2012/Game Changers
Game Changers: Rita Tuzon
Published October 8, 2012, Page 37
EVP, General Counsel
Rita Tuzon’s role at the Fox Networks Group goes well beyond sports. As the group’s general counsel, she oversees a staff of 50 whose jobs include doing everything from developing retransmission consent deals to deciding what is too racy for Fox’s prime-time shows. But Tuzon is finding that she’s spending an increasing amount of time on sports these days. “Fox continues to see itself as a leader in sports,” she said. “It’s an integral part of who we are.”
She oversaw the legal team assigned to the Los Angeles Dodgers’ ownership situation last year, when Fox’s TV rights came into dispute. (She describes managing Fox’s interest during the team’s bankruptcy proceedings and its eventual sale as her “pet project.”) She also has a hand in furthering Fox’s established team relationships, such as those with the Texas Rangers and Los Angeles Angels.
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?: If you approach problems with a “glass half full” mentality, you will always find your path to a solution.
- How would you describe effective business leadership?: Effective business leadership requires clear communication, valuing relationships, and the willingness to make principled decisions and take responsibility for them.
- Person who had the biggest influence on your career in sports: My department colleagues at Fox in the 1990s who were disinterested in sports and focused on entertainment, leaving our expansion in sports all for me.
- My vision of success is …: Getting the right results for our businesses, and being present and engaged for my family.
- Outside of work and family, I’m spending a lot of my time on …: Supporting public school education.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“Rita and our legal team do an incredible job of helping us sift through the myriad of issues we face in today’s ultra-competitive environment. She does far more than provide legal advice. She is a terrific partner on all our business issues.”
- Randy Freer, co-president, Fox Sports