Upcoming Conferences and Events
May 31 - Jun 1
SBJ/October 8-14, 2012/Game Changers
Game Changers: Mary Owen
Published October 8, 2012, Page 28
Owen (left) spends time with her aunt, Mary Wilson,
at a Buffalo kickoff event.
EVP, Strategic Planning
She finds herself so busy she sometimes has to skip her other passion, running triathlons. “Sometimes,” she said laughing, “work just gets in the way of life.”
- Crowning professional achievement: Building our fan base and regionalization program in Toronto and southern Ontario.
- Biggest professional disappointment: Losing great people because we weren’t able to provide them with the right opportunity to grow.
- What advice would you give to yourself 10 years ago?: Keep track of the people you meet. Sports business is a small world and gets smaller as you progress in your career.
- Woman in sports business you’d most like to meet: Heidi Ueberroth. I would love to learn more about her experiences and how she views the opportunity for other professional sports to expand globally.
- The biggest challenge I face working in the sports business is …: The unpredictability of wins and losses.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“Mary is extremely driven to excel and be the best in everything she takes on. … We are proud of all she has accomplished in her career thus far — including the recent completion of her MBA studies — but what I love most about Mary is her sense of humor, common sense, and her dedication to be there for her family and friends.”
- Mary Wilson, Owen’s aunt and wife of Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson