Game Changers: Beth Hutter Game Changers: Mary Byrne Game Changers: Renee Baumgartner Game Changers: Stephanie Cheng Game Changers: Christine Brown Game Changers: Michelle McKenna-Doyle Game Changers: Bernadette McGlade Game Changers: Heidi Sandreuter Game Changers: Kristen Rose Game Changers: Andrea Williams
SBJ/October 8-14, 2012/Game Changers
Game Changers: Jessica Gelman
Published October 8, 2012, Page 27
WANT MORE GREAT STORIES LIKE THIS?
CLICK ON ONE OF THESE BUTTONS
Gelman with the Patriots’ AFC Championship ring,
her Ivy League title ring, her wedding ring and the net
from her record-setting Harvard basketball team.
VP, Customer Marketing and Strategy
Gelman, who led Harvard to two Ivy League basketball championships as a point guard, also has had a hand in the growing acceptance of analytics across sports as co-chair of the well-received MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?: “Act as if.” No matter what you feel — tired, upset, disappointed — act as if you are at your best. From Kathy Delaney-Smith, my college basketball coach.
- What advice would you give to yourself 10 years ago?: Don’t settle, follow your passion — and invest in Google.
- Woman in sports business you’d most like to meet: Billie Jean King. She has had as big an influence on society (founding the Women’s Sports Foundation) as she has in business (founding a league and association).
- My vision of success is …: To have impact, be respected by those closest to me, and fully embrace life’s experiences.
- Outside of work and family, I’m spending a lot of my time on …: The next MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference and co-chairing the Harvard Basketball Friends Group.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“Jessica is an extremely well-rounded professional. She excels at analytics and then translating the results of her analysis into operationals. She is an invaluable member of our team.”
- Jonathan Kraft, New England Patriots president