Game Changers: Beth Hutter Game Changers: Mary Byrne Game Changers: Renee Baumgartner Game Changers: Stephanie Cheng Game Changers: Christine Brown Game Changers: Michelle McKenna-Doyle Game Changers: Bernadette McGlade Game Changers: Heidi Sandreuter Game Changers: Kristen Rose Game Changers: Andrea Williams
SBJ/October 8-14, 2012/Game Changers
Game Changers: Jana Smoley
Published October 8, 2012, Page 31
Smoley, with sons Nick, 6 (left), and Jake, 7, has
succeeded in getting word out about the
“What it’s really about is having someone who is passionate about this area, who understands what makes this area so cool, and telling the world about it,” Smoley said. “The tournament really is an amazing asset for a community that used to be known for ‘Reno 911.’”
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?: From my dad: He always used to say, “Separate, then tackle them one at a time” — focus on separating the smaller concerns within the big picture and attack these more manageable-sized issues one by one.
- The biggest challenge I face working in the sports business is …: The economy.
- One attribute I look for when hiring is …: Being solution-oriented. Finding someone who can identify the issue, accept a challenge for what it is, dissect it, and then find a good solution is invaluable to me. Hard work matters.
- In 10 words or less, how would you describe your management style?: Communicative, cooperative and collaborative.
- My vision of success is …: Growing, winning, being the best you can be, and having some good laughs along the way.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“When we were seeking a new executive director for the Reno-Tahoe Open three years ago, the PGA Tour knew we needed a person with strong leadership qualities who would bring a tremendous amount of energy to the event. We also sought a person with a creative mind, strong sales and marketing background, and the passion to turn the Reno-Tahoe Open into an event the community is very proud of. In Jana Smoley, we found just that person.”
- Andy Pazder, PGA Tour executive vice president and chief of operations