Game Changers: Beth Hutter Game Changers: Mary Byrne Game Changers: Renee Baumgartner Game Changers: Stephanie Cheng Game Changers: Christine Brown Game Changers: Michelle McKenna-Doyle Game Changers: Bernadette McGlade Game Changers: Heidi Sandreuter Game Changers: Kristen Rose Game Changers: Andrea Williams
SBJ/October 8-14, 2012/Game Changers
Game Changers: Dana Allen
Published October 8, 2012, Page 37
Allen’s work can quite literally include the trenches.
SVP, Business Development
A collegiate track runner, Allen started her career with IMG, selling sponsorships for running races and motorsports events. She moved on to play a major part in bringing the 2003 UCI Road World Championships to Hamilton, Ontario, before later transitioning to oversee the collection of events known as the Canada Running Series. Allen said sports event management is a great arena for women hoping to dive into sports business. “Women tend to be strong in project-management positions,” Allen said. “There are a lot of women with tourism, hospitality and project-management backgrounds in running.”
- Crowning professional achievement: The successful execution of the 2003 road world cycling championships.
- Biggest professional disappointment: Not listening to my gut and taking a job where my passions weren’t being fueled.
- Person who had the biggest influence on your career in sports: Therese Quigley, former athletic director at McMaster University (Canada) for encouraging me to pursue my passion for sports business.
- Woman in sports business you’d most like to meet: Stacey Allaster, CEO of the WTA (and fellow Canadian).
- My vision of success is …: Being in a job that you choose and love.
- Outside of work and family, I’m spending a lot of my time on …: Running and enjoying good wine.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“Dana listens to all the partners and hears everybody’s needs and then expresses herself honestly. There are some things that can be done, and others that can’t, and she’s up front and honest with everybody.”
- Kevin Smith, director, St. Petersburg/Clearwater Sports Commission, who works with Allen on the local Rock ’n’ Roll Half Marathon event