Game Changers: Beth Hutter Game Changers: Mary Byrne Game Changers: Renee Baumgartner Game Changers: Stephanie Cheng Game Changers: Christine Brown Game Changers: Michelle McKenna-Doyle Game Changers: Bernadette McGlade Game Changers: Heidi Sandreuter Game Changers: Kristen Rose Game Changers: Andrea Williams
SBJ/October 8-14, 2012/Game Changers
Game Changers: Andrea Ching
Published October 8, 2012, Page 34
Ching (shown here with son Miles, 2) and husband Ben
Winkler were awaiting the birth of their second child, a girl,
at press time.
SVP, Marketing and Promotions
Ching knows about creating the digital connection between consumers and sponsors. Prior to joining Turner in 2008, she spent 11 years at Ogilvy & Mather — including time at the agency’s Neo@Ogilvy digital arm — working for a roster of blue-chip clients. Now, she is earning high marks for creating additional marketing programs across all of Turner’s digital assets, including NBA.com.
“Sponsors want deep integration that is also organic,” Ching said, “and it’s for us to tread that fine line between what is too much and what is meaningful.”
- What advice would you give to yourself 10 years ago?: Learn from your mistakes and then let go of them.
- Person who had the biggest influence on your career in sports: David Levy. It is an education every day to see how he operates and leads.
- Woman in sports business you'd most like to meet: Serena Williams. She’s a fierce competitor and entrepreneur who goes her own way, successfully.
- The biggest challenge I face working in the sports business is …: Also my biggest advantage: I don’t have a traditional background for sports business.
- My vision of success is …: Getting paid to do what I love, while still balancing a good amount of time to spend with family and friends.
- Outside of work and family, I’m spending a lot of my time on …: Reading: fiction and nonfiction. I read about 75 books a year. Reading helps me to recharge and bring new perspectives to life and work.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
“Andrea has overseen and developed some of the most creative and strategic sponsored executions in the industry, notably around the NBA and NCAA March Madness. As multiscreen marketing continues to emerge, her intelligence, collaborative approach and creative expertise will continue to be an invaluable asset to our team and Turner overall.”
- Greg D'Alba, president, CNN News Networks and Turner Digital Ad Sales and Marketing