SBJ/January 23-29, 2012/Leagues and Governing BodiesPrint All
Editor's note: This story is revised from the print edition.
Russ Findlay, a veteran PepsiCo and Unilever marketer, is out after less than a year as Major League Soccer’s first chief marketing officer.
Whether Handler takes the CMO title officially won’t be known until an examination of the league’s marketing plan.
“Howard’s been a great asset so far and he’s hit the ground running,” said MLS
Handler, who did not return a phone message, worked with Garber at the NFL before Garber took the top MLS job in 1999. The commissioner tapping into Handler’s expertise echoes the move he made bringing in former NFL marketer Doug Quinn in 2004 to head Soccer United Marketing.
Handler was last with Madison Square Garden, where he was executive vice president of marketing and sales from 2009-11. He also brings an entertainment marketing background to MLS, as he has held various marketing jobs with EMI Music, MTV and Broadway Video, along with Virgin Mobile and Quaker Oats.
Marketing responsibilities at MLS have been in disparate hands at MLS. Since Mark Noonan left as executive vice president of marketing and fan development in 2004, responsibilities have been shuttled between Quinn; Dan Courtemanche, executive vice president of marketing and communications; and current SUM President Kathy Carter.
Findlay’s exit comes as Will Wilson, MLS’s executive vice president of international business and special events, left to join Wasserman Media Group in a deal that also brought Wasserman the representation to likely top NFL draftee Andrew Luck, who is Wilson’s nephew (see related story).
The NBA last week rolled out its new “Big” advertising campaign, replacing its “Where Amazing Happens” campaign after five seasons.
The “Big” effort launched on Jan. 19 and comes after the league used a campaign labeled “Big Things Are Coming” to promote the start of this year’s lockout-shortened season.
“We like to refresh the brand every five years or so,” said Danny Meiseles, executive vice president and executive producer, production, programming and
The new campaign will run across all NBA broadcast
Meiseles said each of the three spots features footage of the player backed with a description of the action along with music from Primus. The debut spot features
“The focus on Rondo is that he plays big,” Meiseles said.
Notable is that the campaign initially does not use the league’s biggest stars, such as LeBron James or Kobe Bryant, though Meiseles did not rule out using those players in future commercials.
“Creatively, we wanted to get [the first three] spots out first,” Meiseles said. “Obviously, we will focus on key guys in the creative process and we know we have four more months to focus on other players.”
The NBA’s new revenue-sharing plan was years in development and today represents a staggering shift in league policy as the NBA redistributes wealth among its teams.
It was fueled by a plea from eight small-market teams in 2007 and grew into one of the league’s most contentious issues, running parallel with the league’s collective-bargaining agreement negotiations.
When fully phased in by the 2013-14 season, it will see a stunning $140 million in additional revenue sharing coming into play compared with last year, moving money through a complex formula that shifts some of the financial wealth of big-market NBA teams to the league’s neediest teams, each of which could receive up to $16 million a year as part of the plan.
Some team executives said that while the system does not completely close the financial gap between high- and low-revenue teams, it is the most progressive form of revenue distribution in the league’s history.
“Whenever you have 30 teams in 30 different markets, you have 30 different goals and needs,” said one team executive, addressing the sensitivity of the issue among owners. “It’s not perfect, but I think it will show that it will be a success.”
Photo by:NBAE / GETTY IMAGES
Instead, the new plan is rooted in a philosophy of including locally generated dollars from the big-market, high-revenue teams to be spread among the low-revenue teams.
The planning committee did not follow any other league model, but instead tailored a new plan specifically to address NBA team needs.
“The process of designing and adopting a new revenue
Sources said that the core of the plan calls for all teams to contribute an annually fixed percentage, roughly 50 percent, of their total annual revenue, minus certain expenses such as arena operating costs, into a revenue sharing pool.
Each team then receives an allocation equal to the league’s average team payroll for that season from the revenue pool. If a team’s contribution to the pool is less than the league’s average team payroll, then that team is a revenue recipient. Teams that contribute an amount that exceeds the average team salary fund the revenue given to receiving teams.
There are limits built into the new plan to protect high-revenue teams, such as the Celtics, Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks, and Orlando Magic, with no team to contribute more than 50 percent of its total profits into the revenue-sharing pool. As is the case in calculating league revenue to determine the salary cap, audits are used to determine team revenue.
For example, one high-revenue team could contribute 50 percent of its total revenue, minus certain expenses, for a total of $70 million put into the pool. A low-revenue team could contribute total revenue of $45 million. After allocating to both teams the average team payroll of $58 million, the low-revenue team would receive $13 million in revenue sharing to make up the difference between its pooled revenue from the league’s average payroll. The high-revenue team would be contributing $12 million to be distributed among receiving teams, adding financial balance between the markets.
Each team’s total top line revenue already includes shared national revenue from TV and sponsorship at roughly $30 million for each team. So, obviously, teams with high local revenue will contribute the most into the new system as the amount of shared revenue grows from $60 million last season to roughly $200 million when the plan is fully implemented.
Under the new formula, the Lakers stand to contribute the most, with reports putting the Lakers’ projected revenue sharing contribution at roughly $50 million annually, though team officials would not confirm any specific amount to be paid into the system.
“Any business operator wants to keep their revenue,” said Jeanie Buss, executive vice president of business operations for the Lakers and a member of the NBA’s planning committee charged with creating the new plan. “That’s the nature of the business, but we also understand the bigger picture and we want a league with teams that are economically viable so that every team has the opportunity to compete. It makes for a healthier league.”
League projections call for about 15 of the league’s 30 teams to receive payments from the new revenue sharing plan, with seven of the 15 neediest teams, such as the Milwaukee Bucks, Memphis Grizzlies, Charlotte Bobcats and Sacramento Kings, to receive a distribution of roughly $16 million after the new system is fully phased in, up from the nearly $5.8 million maximum that teams could have received this year.
A $16 million payout, based on this year’s salary cap of $58 million, represents about 25 percent of the cap.
“For us, being a small-market team, we have the same goals and aspirations of large-market teams to compete for a championship, and the new plan gives us a chance,” said Fred Whitfield, president and COO of the Charlotte Bobcats. “It gives us a chance to put a talented team on the floor and be able to break even or make some money.”
Similar to the previous system, the new revenue-sharing plan also holds teams accountable in meeting expected local market revenue standards.
“We are outperforming in our market and we are not going to be a [revenue-sharing] receiver,” said Alex Martins, chief executive officer of the Magic, which last year had the seventh highest revenue in the 30-team NBA. “Nonetheless, it’s a partnership between the large markets to the extent that they are going to share their revenues with small markets.”
While the NBA has done away with its old system of requiring teams to meet a set of business performance benchmarks developed by business consultants McKinsey & Co., the new plan calls for small-market teams to generate at least 70 percent of the leaguewide average in total team revenue in order to receive full revenue-sharing benefits. Large-market teams must generate 130 percent of the leaguewide team revenue average. Should a team fall short of its expected revenue, it must make up the difference in its level of contribution.
Cuban wonders whether the plan will collect enough from teams like the Lakers.
Photo by:GETTY IMAGES
One team source said that objections to the plan from high-revenue teams were offset by the fact that their massive team revenues in part are responsible for driving up the player’s salaries, given that under the new CBA, the players get 50 percent of the league’s total revenue, which last year was about $4 billion.
The plan, which runs concurrently with the league’s new collective-bargaining agreement, has drawn its share of criticism from some owners.
Though approved along with the new CBA in late November, the new plan remains such a hot-button issue within league circles that many top team executives refused to comment.
“[The new revenue-sharing plan] certainly helps level the playing field,” Cuban said in an email. “The question is whether it is enough to overcome the growing disparity in media rights fees.”
Miami Heat owner Micky Arison has said publicly that he opposed the plan.
NBA executives have heard the complaints, but said they are confident that the plan will bring more financial balance the league.
“It is fair to say that every team had a full hearing in terms of expressing its views on revenue sharing,” said Joel Litvin, NBA president of league operations, who helped spearhead the creation of the new revenue-sharing plan. “It generated a significant amount of spirited debate among the teams. But the planning committee, led by its chairman Wyc Grousbeck, was ultimately able to forge a consensus that didn’t leave everybody happy, but struck as fair a balance as you can strike on a difficult subject.”
The future of Greg Shaheen, the architect of the NCAA’s 14-year, $11 billion media deal with Turner Sports and CBS, has come under question in recent weeks as the NCAA began advertising his job position.
Shaheen, who oversees the NCAA men’s basketball tournament and the other 88 NCAA championships, still carries the interim tag before his title — executive vice president of championships and alliances. Parker Executive Search, an Atlanta-based search firm that helped the NCAA hire President Mark Emmert in 2010, has been retained again to lead the search for an executive vice president of championships and alliances.
Like other NCAA execs, Greg Shaheen’s title has carried an interim tag since Mark Emmert arrived.
Photo by:SHANA WITTENWYLER
The NCAA, however, is calling this business as usual as Emmert, who took over as president in October 2010, completes his senior staff and remakes the NCAA’s front office.
Other members of Emmert’s senior management team carried the interim tag when they were first assigned a title under Emmert’s direction. Bob Williams, the NCAA’s vice president of communications, was first named an interim vice president before the interim tag was eventually removed in December 2010, two months after Emmert formally moved into the job.
Scott Bearby initially was named interim general counsel and vice president of legal affairs, but Donald Remy was eventually hired for that job in January 2011, and Bearby became deputy general counsel. Another senior staffer, Keith Martin, was named by Emmert to be interim chief financial officer and vice president of administration before Kathleen McNeely was hired for those titles in March 2011. Martin remained to work in finance and reports to McNeely.
“It’s a national search, similar to what we’ve done with various NCAA positions over the past year,” the NCAA said of the search for an executive vice president of championships and alliances.
What’s different, though, is that those previous senior staff hires were made within a few months of Emmert’s arrival. Shaheen, who did not respond to messages for this story, has been in the interim role for 16 months now.
The executive vice president position will report to Jim Isch, the NCAA’s chief operating officer, who was the interim president while the search was on for Emmert. Before Emmert’s arrival, Shaheen’s title was senior vice president, basketball and business strategies.
According to Parker’s job description, the NCAA’s executive vice president will “oversee the strategic direction, operation and management of all NCAA championships … and the association’s multiple broadcast and marketing rights.” The application process closed Friday.
Shaheen, who joined the association in 2000, has established himself as the NCAA’s point person in the relationships with Turner and CBS, and has overseen the Final Four’s growth over the last decade.
He sent the college basketball world into a near panic early in 2010 when he shopped the idea of a 96-team bracket to potential media bidders on the tournament. The NCAA settled on a 68-team format when it locked down a joint rights agreement with Turner and CBS.
Shaheen also has been instrumental in molding the “basketball in the round” concept that put the court at midfield inside giant domes for the Final Four and some regionals, which have attracted record crowds in the 70,000 to 80,000 range.
His name has most commonly been linked to conference commissioner’s jobs in the past, most notably at the Pac-12 before Larry Scott was hired, and most recently the Big 12. Shaheen grew up in Indianapolis, where the NCAA is based, and still has family there.