SBJ/September 30 - October 6, 2002/This Weeks Issue
Raiders look to spring for new trial in their $1.2B lawsuit against NFL
Published September 30, 2002
According to papers,
one juror told others that
he hated the Raiders and
The Oakland Raiders could begin a new trial as early as next spring of their $1.2 billion lawsuit alleging that NFL officials unfairly destroyed the team's plan to build a privately funded stadium in Los Angeles, Raiders general counsel Jeffrey Birren said.
A Los Angeles Superior Court judge last week gave the Oakland Raiders a new trial against the NFL, ruling that the 2001 verdict in favor of the league was tainted by juror misconduct. The judge, Richard Hubbell, has set Dec. 3 as trial-setting conference date, assuming the league does not appeal the decision, Birren said.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league was disappointed with the decision but had not yet decided whether to appeal it. He declined further comment.
Birren said it is difficult to get a new trial. "But the facts were so egregious that it cried out for this decision," he said.
According to court papers filed by the Raiders, one juror told other jury members that he hated the Raiders and team owner Al Davis but did not disclose his feelings on the juror questionnaire. Another juror, who said she worked in the legal profession, wrote out her interpretations of the law and taped them to the walls of the jury room.