Featured Story

AIU Decides To Add American Football To National University Games Schedule

Published in SportsBusiness Daily Global on 03 / 30 / 15

American football has been formally recognized as an official college sport by India's collegiate sports governing body. The Association of Indian Universities decided to include American football as a regular event on its National University Games schedule starting in '15-16. Following a unanimous ...

Read More

Tags: Leagues and Governing Bodies, India, North America

More Stories

01/12/15
HKFA To Receive Government Funding

The Hong Kong FA "secured a multimillion-dollar boost from the government" to secure its future for the next five years, but the professional clubs "are still more or less on their own despite the huge cash injection," according to Chan Kin-wa of the SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST. The funds "will be spen ...

Tags: Finance, Asia

01/12/15
Australian Open Boosts Prize Money

The Australian Open "will lift prize money" for this month’s Grand Slam tennis championship by 21% to a record A40M ($32.6M) "partly to offset a slide in value of the Australian currency," according to Danielle Rossingh of BLOOMBERG. The singles champions will get A$3.1M each, while a first-ro ...

Tags: Finance, Australia

01/12/15
Man City Faces Questions From UEFA

Man City faces "fresh questions from UEFA in the wake of the Frank Lampard debacle" over how its extensive network of global companies is "sharing the burden of the club’s massive financial losses," according to Nick Harris of the London DAILY MAIL. Man City was fined £16M by Europe&rsqu ...

Tags: Finance, United Kingdom

01/12/15
F1's $100M Insurance Policy

New research revealed F1 race organizers "have been asked to arrange insurance policies" up to as much as $100M per Grand Prix, according to Christian Sylt for FORBES. With so many events in different jurisdictions "it would be highly complex for the F1 Group, which controls the series, to arrange i ...

Tags: Finance, Europe

01/12/15
Rangers First Buys 60,000 Shares In Club

Scottish Championship side Rangers fan-ownership group Rangers First has "increased its Ibrox stake after snapping up another 60,000 shares," according to the HERALD SCOTLAND. With three factions -- Dave King and the Three Bears, NBA Phoenix Suns Owner Robert Sarver, and the existing board "which is ...

Tags: Finance, United Kingdom

01/09/15
Blackburn Rovers Debt Up To $120M

League Championship side Blackburn Rovers' net debt has risen to £79.8M ($120M) from £54.5M ($82M) as it struggles "to comply with Financial Fair Play rules," according to the BBC. The club is currently "under a transfer embargo for breaching FFP regulations." Under existing rules, clu ...

Tags: Finance, United Kingdom

01/09/15
Finance Notes

U.K.-based pay-TV broadcaster Sky "increased its stake in its German subsidiary Sky Deutschland to more than 95%, enabling it to take the company off the stock market." Sky’s stake in Sky Deutschland "now amounts to 95.8%." The remaining 4.2% "are in free float at the Frankfurt stock exchange" ...

Tags: Finance

01/08/15
Wakayama Trians Forced To Quit NBL

National Basketball League club Wakayama Trians, which finished runner-up last year in the NBL, announced on Wednesday that it will not "complete the remainder of the current season due to severe financial woes and submitted a notice of withdrawal to the league," according to Kaz Nagatsuka of the JA ...

Tags: Asia, Finance

01/08/15
Rangers Make Reassurances To SPFL

Scottish Championship side Rangers have assured the Scottish Professional Football League that "they are not heading for administration despite their current financial troubles," according to Chris McLaughlin of the BBC. Rangers CEO Derek Llambias was "called to a meeting at Hampden on Tuesday to cl ...

Tags: Finance, United Kingdom

01/07/15
WPP Invests Into Bruin Sports Capital

George Pyne proclaimed that Bruin Sports Capital “is open for business” with an initial investment of $250M, mostly from WPP. The equity secured, plus Bruin’s ability to borrow at least $250M more, gives Pyne’s firm a minimum of $500M in buying power. Bruin intends to acquire ...

Tags: Finance

Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug