Featured Story

Arsenal Share Trading Before Usmanov's Bid Raises Suspicions

Published in SportsBusiness Daily Global on 05 / 25 / 17

More than £35,000 ($45,300) was staked on Arsenal shares in "suspicious" trading activity "minutes before news broke of Alisher Usmanov’s bid to take full control " of the club, according to Jamie Nimmo of the London EVENING STANDARD. ...

Read More

Tags: Finance, Europe

More Stories

03/29/17
Route Mobile Founders Invest In Esports

Route Mobile founders Rajdip and Sandip Gupta announced an investment of $10M "to start an electronic gaming startup, Cobx Gaming Ventures," according to OUTLOOK INDIA. Cobx Founder Rajdip said, "As avid gamers ourselves, we have always wanted to contribute to the growth of professional esports." Mu ...

Tags: Finance, India

03/29/17
Finance Notes

Polish side Legia Warsaw majority Owner Dariusz Mioduski " acquired the minority shares in the club and vowed to take a hands-on role in the management." Mioduski acquired 80% of the club while the remaining 20% was bought by Legia CEO Boguslaw Lesnodorski. They bought their shares from local m ...

Tags: Finance

03/28/17
SA Rugby Announces Loss

Paying 60M rand more annually for player insurance and image rights as well as 336M rand to keep the 14 provincial unions "afloat" are two reasons South Africa Rugby announced a 23.3M rand loss in the last financial year, according to Craig Ray of TIMES LIVE. The organization made the announcem ...

Tags: Finance, Africa

03/28/17
Finance Notes

The dispute with Vivendi  over the sale of its pay-TV unit " negatively impacted " the '16 accounts of Italian broadcaster Mediaset by €100M. The figure was announced by Mediaset CEO Pier Silvio Berlusconi, who added that the '17 results "will be much better." However, he "denied any ...

Tags: Finance

03/27/17
Australian Rugby Faces Cash Crunch

The Wallabies have twice won the Rugby World Cup and are "ranked the third-best rugby union team on the planet," according to Jamie Smyth of the FINANCIAL TIMES. But the sport faces a "cash crunch" in Australia, which could force it to cut one of its teams from Super Rugby . The threat is "casting ...

Tags: Australia, Finance

03/27/17
F1's Asian Expansion Stalling

When the '17 Formula 1 season got underway last weekend, it signaled "another crucial year for the sport, especially in the Asia-Pacific region," according to John Duerden of the NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW. In '04, F1's then-CEO Bernie Ecclestone "declared that Asia was the future." He said, "Our sponsors ...

Tags: Finance, Asia

03/24/17
Western Force Ask Fans For A$10M

The "embattled" Super Rugby side Western Force launched a A$10M ($7.6M) fundraising drive to "save it from possibly being cut from the competition as early as next year," according to Greg Stutchbury of REUTERS. SANZAAR met in London two weeks ago to address "widespread criticism of the unwieldy 1 ...

Tags: Australia, Finance

03/24/17
Australian Cricketers Dismiss CA's Offer

The Australian Cricketers' Association "claims Cricket Australia will earn" A$2B ($1.5B) over the next five years and "accuses it of diverting away money that belongs to the players, as the industrial strife between the two organisations continues to brew on the eve of the critical fourth Test in In ...

Tags: Finance, Australia

03/24/17
Rangers Posts £300,000 Six-Month Profit

Scottish Premiership side Rangers "announced an operating profit of £300,000 in its unaudited results" for the six months to Dec. 31, according to the BBC. This compares "favourably" to a loss of £500,000 in the same period in '15. Revenue increased by £5.3M year-on-year to reach & ...

Tags: Finance, United Kingdom

03/24/17
Sport England Announces Investments

Seven sports, including swimming and rugby league, "will benefit" from more than £27M ($33.8M) of additional grassroots funding, according to SKY SPORTS. Sport England announced its "latest major portfolio of investments" on Thursday, all of them "designed to get people playing sport regularly ...

Tags: Finance, United Kingdom

Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug