Featured Story

Swiss Athletics To Financially Contribute Toward European Athletics Championships

Published in SportsBusiness Daily Global on 08 / 28 / 14

Swiss Athletics "will have to financially contribute toward the recently completed European Athletics Championships," according to Andreas Kopp of the NEUE ZÜRCHER ZEITUNG. The organizers of the championships, which took place in Zürich, calculate with a financial loss of 2M Swiss fra...

Read More

Tags: Leagues and Governing Bodies, Europe

More Stories

EPL Fans Angry About Cameras

The Premier League's £3B ($4.6B) TV deal "comes at a cost for the match goer," according to Henry Winter of the London TELEGRAPH. Caring clubs "are seeking to accommodate them in other parts of the stadium but fans are creatures of habit, wanting the same familiar routes, gangways, characters, ...

Tags: Facilities, United Kingdom

PFA CEO Accused Of Running Up Debts

Professional Footballers’ Association CEO GORDON TAYLOR "has remained tight-lipped" Wednesday morning over claims that he ran up gambling debts of £100,000 ($155,000) after placing up to £4M ($6.2M) in bets in the space of 30 months, according to the LONDON TIMES. Taylor, who ha ...

Tags: People and Pop Culture, United Kingdom

Abramovich Halts Russian Football Funds

Russian billionaire and Chelsea Owner Roman Abramovich "is stopping his funding for Russian football," according to the BBC. Abramovich's spokesperson at the investment firm Millhouse said his National Football Academy in Russia had "fulfilled its objectives." There are "no reports of any dispute." ...

Tags: International Football, Russia, United Kingdom

Sky Lands Three-Year Deal With Pinarello

The Sky Pro Cycling team and Italian cycling brand Pinarello "have confirmed that they will extend their current collaboration" until the end of the '16 season, according to VELO NATION. The three-year extension "adds on to the previous four year cooperation," with the Italian company "having come o ...

Tags: Marketing and Sponsorship, United Kingdom, Europe

Real To Set New Player Transfer Record

Football’s new record transfer "is close to completion following a summer of tortuous debate and wrangling after Tottenham Hotspur finally admitted it was in 'the final stages' of transferring" Welsh player Gareth Bale to Real Madrid, according to Roger Blitz of the FINANCIAL TIMES. Tottenham ...

Tags: Finance, United Kingdom

Chime Sports Division Profits Fall 40%

Profits at Chime's sports division slumped 40% in the first half of the year as "the hangover from the London Games took its toll," but the communications group has predicted a bumper '14 fueled by the Brazilian World Cup, according to Mark Sweney of the London GUARDIAN. Chime's performance "was pul ...

Tags: Finance, United Kingdom

U.K. Sportswear Markets Grows 5.4%

Research and Markets estimates that the U.K. sportswear market grew in value by 5.4% in '12, with sports clothing accounting for approximately 71% of total market value and sports footwear making up the remaining 29%. Participation in sports and activities can directly affect the sportswear market, ...

Tags: Finance, United Kingdom

Hearts Fans Urged To Back Foundation

Scottish Premiership Heart of Midlothian Managing Dir David Southern "secretly backed the Foundation of Hearts buy-out more than a month before it achieved preferred bidder status," according to Alan Marshall of the Scotland DAILY RECORD. Southern was "among the first to set up a personal direct deb ...

Tags: Franchises, United Kingdom

Mondelēz Partners With BPA

U.S.-based beverage conglomerate Mondelēz Int'l is to launch Paralympic-themed campaigns for brands such as Cadbury, Oreo and Philadelphia "after signing its first major corporate sponsorship deal to partner with the British Paralympic Association," according to Sebastian Joseph of MARKETING WEEK. M ...

Tags: Marketing and Sponsorship, United Kingdom

NFL Building Fan Base In U.K.

When the NFL played its first regular-season game in London in ’07, it was hard to imagine that only a few years later the discussion to turn to the possibility of an NFL franchise actually moving there. But now, six years later, the NFL will host two regular-season games in the U.K. for the f ...

Tags: Marketing and Sponsorship, United Kingdom

Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug