Messi Makes Global Headlines Executive Transactions Names In The News Czech FA Chief Sets Up Succession Plan Italy Approves Reforms To Serie A Dutch Bank ABN AMRO To Sponsor Ajax Bayern's '13-14 Revenue To Break €500M AESSEAL Partners With Rotherham United Seifert: FIFA's Credibility Is In Freefall Celtic To Combine Wi-Fi With Betting
SBD Global/July 28, 2014/Leagues and Governing BodiesPrint All
F1 teams said that "they will race in Russia, despite the crisis in Ukraine and downing of a Malaysian airliner, unless the country's debut grand prix in October is called off or they are ordered not to go," according to Alan Baldwin of REUTERS. Williams Deputy Team Principal Claire Williams said, "Obviously what's going on in Russia and that part of the world is of huge concern to everybody. But we've always said that as a sport we try and disengage from taking a political angle on these things." Sauber Team Principal Monisha Kaltenborn, whose team has Russian partners and has "committed to training up Russian reserve driver Sergey Sirotkin, agreed." Kaltenborn: "We have to rely on the governing body and the commercial rights holder. They are the ones who have the responsibility and we will do as they say like we’ve done in the past." F1 teams which have entered the championship "are contractually bound to compete in every race, with 19 scheduled this year, and risk exclusion and heavy fines if they do not" (REUTERS, 7/25).
ECHOS OF BAHRAIN: In London, Kevin Eason wrote "in an echo of the row that engulfed F1 over the controversial decision to hold the 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix in the face of global protests, the sport appears to be determined to shut out any questioning of the morals of attending a grand prix in a country standing in the dock of international condemnation." However, the probing from a group of journalists from around the world tested the patience of Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner, who accused them of “boring” the six team principals on the panel with their questions about F1’s "arcane finances and political judgment." Horner said, "This is becoming a very depressing press conference where we are focused on the negativities. ... It is wrong to make Formula One a political subject. We are a sport. We should be talking about what a great [German Grand Prix] was for Lewis Hamilton to come through the grid, yet all we do is focus on the negatives and, it has to be said, it gets pretty boring for us to sit up here and fend off these questions." However, "the questions are unlikely to go away with the threat of further stringent EU sanctions hanging over Russia in the two months before the country’s inaugural grand prix is scheduled to take place" (LONDON TIMES, 7/26). Also in London, Daniel Johnson wrote U.K. Deputy PM Nick Clegg demanded that organizers of the Russian Grand Prix "be stripped of the right to host the race." While Clegg, the Liberal Democrat leader, was not speaking for the government in his call for the race to be canceled, "it now poses the question as to what Downing Street's view is." Shadow Foreign Secretary Douglas Alexander had previously said that FIFA "should be making contingency plans for moving the 2018 World Cup due to be held in Russia, suggesting Labour may also be against the grand prix in Sochi" (TELEGRAPH, 7/27).
F1 DEBUT: CNN reported Azerbaijan "will make its Formula One debut in 2016 as the latest venue for the Grand Prix of Europe." The race circuit "will weave through the medieval streets of the capital city Baku." Azerbaijan "had been mooted as a venue for next season" by Ecclestone. However, "this would have pushed the number of races on the calendar above the agreed limit of 20." The event "will become F1's latest street race, joining mainstays Monaco and Singapore already on the roster" (CNN, 7/25). In London, Paul Weaver wrote Azerbaijan’s inclusion "had been originally planned to begin in 2016 but has now been brought forward." Azerbaijan Minister for Youth & Sport Azad Rahimov said, “The deal to bring Formula One racing to Baku is a very significant new chapter in our ongoing success to attract the world’s largest sporting events to our country" (GUARDIAN, 7/25).
The all-male Royal & Ancient Golf Club, which governs the sport outside the U.S. and Mexico, "will disclose on Sept. 18 results of a ballot to allow women as members." The club "will now conduct a ballot among its members by mail, replacing a vote that was scheduled to take place at the club’s business meeting on that day." The R&A said in a statement the change was made so “all members can take part in this historic vote" (BLOOMBERG, 7/25). ... Australian Athletes Alliance CEO Brendan Schwab urged the Australian Football League "to establish an independent body to adjudicate on major decisions." Schwab: "We think there needs to be a strong separation, say, between the board, which is the policy-making body, the executive which administers the competition, and the judiciary which determines disputes" (SYDNEY MORNING HERALD, 7/26). ... Trying to "douse the hurt sentiments" of Sikh and Muslim players, the Int'l Basketball Federation (FIBA) "is ready to review its rule which prevents cagers from wearing headgear for religious reasons." A controversy erupted at the FIBA-sanctioned Asia Cup in China this month "after two Indian Sikh players were told to remove their turbans ahead of the game" (PTI, 7/26). ... National Rugby League side Gold Coast's "ailing NRL campaign has hit another bump" with the league confirming it is investigating possible salary cap breaches. It is the second time in four years that "the club's finances have come under the microscope after the NRL cleared the Titans of any wrongdoing" in '10 over claims then-halfback Scott Prince was offered a house worth A$400,000 for free (AAP, 7/28). ... An investigation by Cricket Australia’s integrity unit in the wake of South Australian high-performance Manager Jamie Cox’s "controversial sacking" is likely to result in charges against other Big Bash teams and changes to the rules. Teams or states "are banned from offering contracts to players" between Feb. 7 and May 19. The Adelaide Strikers were fined A$50,000 "after it was discovered Cox’s dealings with three players, including Victoria’s Brad Hodge and West Indian Kieron Pollard," were in breach of the player negotiations embargo (THE AUSTRALIAN, 7/28).