SBD Global/July 17, 2014/People and Pop Culture

Print All
  • Nico Rosberg Signs Multi-Year Contract Extension With Mercedes F1 Team

    F1 driver Nico Rosberg reportedly signs three-year, $74M extension with Mercedes.

    German F1 driver NICO ROSBERG "will stay at Mercedes past '15," according to the SID. The current world championship leader "extended his contract with the team ahead of this weekend's German Grand Prix." The team said in a statement, "The Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team is delighted to announce that it signed a multi-year extension with Nico Rosberg on 14 July 2014." German newspaper Bild reported that Rosberg "signed an extension until '17." He will receive an estimated €55M ($74M) for next three seasons (SID, 7/16). The BBC wrote that the former Williams driver "joined Mercedes in 2010 and has taken six victories, 17 podiums and eight pole positions with the Silver Arrows." He has won three times in '14 and leads the championship by four points. Mercedes-Benz Motorsport Head TOTO WOLFF described Rosberg "as one of the best drivers in F1." He added, "His speed, commitment and focus have all helped to give clear direction and to drive the team forward." Rosberg, who made his F1 debut with Williams in '06, said, "We have an awesome team and I am confident that we have the right people in place at every level. I'm looking forward to the next years together, when we will keep pushing to win even more races and, hopefully, championships" (BBC, 7/16).

    Print | Tags: People and Pop Culture, Europe
  • Executive Transactions

    TOM RENNEY on Tuesday was named Hockey Canada President & CEO. A "respected hockey man," his decades of experience at the amateur, int'l and professional levels ultimately "made him the NGB's choice" to replace BOB NICHOLSON. Hockey Canada BOD Chair JIM HORNELL said that what separated Renney from other candidates was "his values base, connections throughout the sport and passion to grow the game." Hornell: "He's a people person, he connects well, he communicates well with people and certainly he's recognized not only in Canada but throughout the hockey world, and that's important" (CP, 7/15). ... Serie A side Juventus has appointed former AC Milan Manager MASSIMILIANO ALLEGRI as its new boss. Allegri, 46, "was sacked by Milan in January" and replaces ANTONIO CONTE, "who left the Italian champions on Tuesday." Allegri, who has also coached Cagliari, "won the Serie A title with Milan in his first season" in charge in '10-11 (BBC, 7/16). ... England & Wales Cricket Board Finance Dir and Company Secretary BRIAN HAVILL has taken on the additional role of acting CEO following the announcement that DAVID COLLIER is to retire at the end of the current cricket season. Havill has been at ECB since Aug. '00, joining from Pentland Group (owners of Speedo, Kickers, Ellesse and several other sports and fashion brands), where he was commercial director of Pentland Sports Group (ECB). ... The Baku 2015 European Games Operation Committee has announced the appointment of PAUL J. FOSTER to the position of director of protocol. Born in Australia, "he is the founder and principal of consulting firm PJF Group, and will join BEGOC on a part-time basis" in August before "relocating full-time to Baku in November." He has extensive knowledge of the Olympic movement, having previously held the position of head of protocol, events and hospitality at the IOC until '12, where he worked on two Olympic Games (2004 Athens and 2008 Beijing) and one Olympic Winter Games (2010 Vancouver) (TREND, 7/16).

    Do you have an executive announcement? If so, please send to global@sportsbusinessdaily.com.

    Print | Tags: People and Pop Culture
  • Names In The News

    Australian swimmer and former freestyle world record holder EAMON SULLIVAN "has announced his immediate retirement from competitive swimming due to ongoing shoulder injury concerns" (SYDNEY MORNING HERALD, 7/16). ... Former Australian Football League side Essendon exec TRAVIS AULD, "whom the crisis-ridden Bombers attempted to lure back to their top job last season, is expected to be announced this week as a senior member" of AFL CEO GILLON MCLACHLAN's exec line-up. The appointment follows last week's off-site day-long AFL exec workshop run by McLachlan as "he sets about reshaping the competition's priorities and administration" (THE AGE, 7/16). ... Double Olympic champion MO FARAH said that "he is fit to compete at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow." Farah "missed last week's Diamond League meeting in the city because of illness." But he completed a "rigorous training session" on Wednesday and tweeted, "Training is going good! Next stop Commonwealth Games" (BBC, 7/16). ... Super League rugby side Salford Red Devils player GARETH HOCK "has been banned for seven matches for making deliberate physical contact with a match official." Salford Chair MARWAN KOUKASH said on Twitter that the Super League club "will not appeal against the suspension." Hock was also fined £300 ($514) by the Rugby Football League's disciplinary panel (BBC, 7/16). ... Welsh 800m runner GARETH WARBURTON "is set to miss the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow after being provisionally suspended for a doping violation." The 31-year-old "had been due to compete at his third Commonwealth Games this month before being informed of his suspension from all competition after being charged with an anti-doping offence" (London DAILY MAIL, 7/16). ... Welsh cyclist GERAINT THOMAS "is understood to have agreed terms with Team Sky on a new multiyear contract, although nothing has yet been signed." Thomas' contract "is up at the end of the season and there had been talk of the 28-year-old moving on to further his grand tour ambitions, not least from the man himself" (London TELEGRAPH, 7/16). ... New ManU Manager LOUIS VAN GAAL has arrived at the club's training complex, where he "is meeting his players and staff." Van Gaal "decided against taking a holiday after guiding the Netherlands to third place at the World Cup and will instead throw himself into United life, meeting those players who are not on a post World Cup break as well as club staff" (London INDEPENDENT, 7/16).

    Print | Tags: People and Pop Culture
  • Twitter Me This...

    London Guardian's OWEN GIBSON: "Timeline full of pre-season friendly updates. Too early, surely!"

    London Telegraph's HENRY WINTER: "Ashley Cole's right. More English players need to go abroad. Learn to take more responsibility etc"

    ESPN's DERMOT CORRIGAN: "Still [still] no sign of Lim's purchase of Valencia finally going through."

    Bloomberg's ALEX DUFF: "Brazilian senate "highly likely" to open inquiry into national soccer federation CBF, says @RomarioOnze after 7-1 loss to Germany"

    If you see a tweet we will not want to miss, send it to us at global@sportsbusinessdaily.com.

    Print | Tags: People and Pop Culture
  • The Starting Five

Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug