SBD Global/July 17, 2014/International Football

Print All
  • Barcelona Consults Lawyers Over Whether To Appeal Against Luis Suárez Ban

    Barcelona said that it is still consulting its lawyers "about whether to appeal to the court of arbitration for sport" over Uruguay striker Luis Suárez’s ban from all football, according to the PA. The striker arrived in the Catalan city on Tuesday to complete the formalities of his reported £75M ($129M) transfer from Liverpool but because of his four-month FIFA ban from all football-related activity after biting the shoulder of Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup, "he could not be formally unveiled at the Camp Nou on Wednesday morning." It therefore fell to new Barça coach Luís Enrique and Dir of Football Andoni Zubizarreta "to answer questions about the club’s latest big-money signing." When asked if Barça was making moves to reduce the length of the ban, Zubizarreta said, “Luis Suárez is a Barcelona player for all purposes but the recommendation from our lawyers has been to remain discreet. ... We’re speaking to our lawyers to find out the best way of defending his rights but at the moment there’s nothing I can say about that" (PA, 7/16).

    Print | Tags: International Football, Europe
  • Football Notes: Brazil Continues Mass Clearout Of World Cup Backroom Staff

    Brazil continued a mass clearout of their World Cup backroom staff on Tuesday, July 15, 2014, following the resignation of coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.

    Team doctor Jose Luis Runco and head of communications Rodrigo Paiva became the latest casualties of a campaign that turned on its head with the 7-1 semi-final mauling at the hands of eventual champions Germany, the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) said.

    Scolari and his assistants went on Monday.

    Runco was a veteran of the 2002 campaign who had been in the post ever since, Globo reported.

    Paiva was suspended during the tournament for striking Chilean player Mauricio Pinilla during their last 16 match, which Brazil narrowly won on penalties.

    Only head of logistics Guilherme Ribeiro has survived the cull.

    - See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/world-cup-2014/story/world-cup-brazil-continues-mass-cull-backroom-staff-after-tournament#sthash.RP5ZeY6s.dpuf

    Brazil continued a mass clearout of their World Cup backroom staff on Tuesday, July 15, 2014, following the resignation of coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.

    Team doctor Jose Luis Runco and head of communications Rodrigo Paiva became the latest casualties of a campaign that turned on its head with the 7-1 semi-final mauling at the hands of eventual champions Germany, the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) said.

    Scolari and his assistants went on Monday.

    Runco was a veteran of the 2002 campaign who had been in the post ever since, Globo reported.

    Paiva was suspended during the tournament for striking Chilean player Mauricio Pinilla during their last 16 match, which Brazil narrowly won on penalties.

    Only head of logistics Guilherme Ribeiro has survived the cull.

    - See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/world-cup-2014/story/world-cup-brazil-continues-mass-cull-backroom-staff-after-tournament#sthash.RP5ZeY6s.dpuf
    Brazil "continued a mass clearout" of its World Cup backroom staff on Tuesday following the resignation of coach Luiz Felipe Scolari. Team doctor Jose Luis Runco and Head of Communications Rodrigo Paiva "became the latest casualties." Only head of logistics Guilherme Ribeiro "has survived the cull" (AFP, 7/16). ... Brazil's justice ministry presented its final report on World Cup security and "what stood out was the lack of serious incidents." Security forces had to deport a total of 371 people during the tournament for presenting threats. Of those, 118 "were members of Argentine fan gangs, including 87 who were prevented from entering Brazil thanks to a list provided by Argentina's national security ministry" (OLE, 7/16). ... As a "direct response to the demand" of FIFA for all court processes to be withdrawn before it could lift the suspension it imposed on the Nigeria Football Federation, National Sports Commission Minister & Chair Tammy Danagogo has appealed to Ebiakpo Baribote, the wife of NFF VP Rumson Baribote, "to withdraw the case she filed at Jos High court" (DAILY INDEPENDENT, 7/16). ... The French Football League (LFP) announced that "the magic spray used by referees at the recent World Cup will be implemented in French football next season." They have authorized the spray "which is used to mark out free-kick spots and where the defensive walls will be aligned in Ligue 1 and Ligue 2, as well as in the domestic cups" (GET FRENCH FOOTBALL NEWS, 7/16).

    Print | Tags: International Football
Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug