Hopp To Become Majority Owner Of TSG Parma Owner Confirms Takeover Of Club Hangin' With ... Seth Holmes Match-Fixing Law Doesn't Go Far Enough Allianz Arena Increases Capacity To 75K Munich City Council Approves New Arena Marussia Nose Section Sells For $23,500 Ecclestone Pushes For Engine Changes FIBA Says JBA Facing Serious Issues Executive Transactions
SBD Global/June 16, 2014/Events and AttractionsPrint All
The return of the Open Championship to Portrush has been greeted as a "real boost for tourism," according to the BBC. Royal Portrush club's "place on the rota of host courses is to be confirmed next week." The tournament is to be held there in '19. It is the first time since '51 that "Northern Ireland and the County Antrim course has hosted The Open." Royal Portrush's Philip Tweedie said that this was "good news for everyone." Tweedie: "It is something we have been working towards over the last few years. It is great for the club, it is great for Portrush, for Northern Ireland and, indeed, Ireland. From the overall tourism point of view, this is a real boost." Golfer Darren Clarke is "delighted that his home club will stage the tournament." Clarke: "It is wonderful for the area, for Northern Ireland and the whole of Ireland that one of the biggest sporting events in the world is coming here" (BBC, 6/12). In Dublin, Dan Keenan reported "accommodation providers are in line for a windfall." Portrush currently has "just eight hotels listed on TripAdvisor; the top-rated of those have yet to decide what to charge when the world’s biggest tournament comes to town." Open Championship organizers R&A and the Stormont exec are "no doubt happy local providers will earn good money when the event tees off." But they are "also looking to the long term." The "famous Dunluce championship course in Portrush will be remodelled to present a stiffer challenge to the world's best golfers and to help accommodate the vast 'tented village' for spectators and media that is part of the whole jamboree." Last month's opening stages of the Giro d'Italia showed the "organisational capability is there to stage large sporting events that attract big crowds and global TV audiences" (IRISH TIMES, 6/14).
Ukraine was "stripped of the right to host" next year's EuroBasket 2015 because of the "continuing instability in the country," according to the AP. Three of the "planned host cities for the 24-team tournament were located in volatile eastern Ukraine, where government troops are fighting pro-Russian separatists." However, FIBA Europe said that it will "start negotiations immediately" with Ukraine on hosting the championship in '17. A decision on next year's host will be made by Sept. 30, with "single or multicountry bids" to be "submitted by the end of July." Even before Ukraine "lost the hosting rights, France had positioned itself as a leading candidate to stage next year's championship" (AP, 6/13).