Executive Transactions VW Reshuffles Management Team Eurosport Launches Wake-Up Service Australian Football League Eyeing GWS Madrid City Council To Bill Real Madrid NFL Signs Lagardère To Grow Fan Base Sydney Cup Draws Crowd Of 61,247 Names In The News Max Verstappen Brings Injection Of Youth Tew Addresses Bug, Stipper Incidents
SBD Global/April 29, 2014/FacilitiesPrint All
Donald Trump "is set to buy himself a piece of golf’s most historic tournament" with a £35M ($58M) deal for Scotland's Turnberry golf course, expected to be finalized soon, according to James Corrigan of the London TELEGRAPH. The "revered" South Ayrshire course, which is "almost guaranteed to host its fifth Open in the next decade," is currently owned by Leisurecorp, a subsidiary of the Dubai government, and has been "unofficially up for sale since the global financial downturn hit the emirate so hard." Dubai bought the resort -- which includes two other courses as well as a golf academy, a five-star hotel and lodge and cottage accommodations -- for £52M ($87M). Yet Trump "is ready to increase his ever-expanding golfing empire" -- which currently stands at 16 resorts -- by paying almost £17M ($28M) less than the Sheikhs "at the same time as earning himself a place at the heart of the game’s establishment." A source said, “The deal is not done yet, but it should be soon.” It "will be interesting" to see how the Royal & Ancient reacts to Trump’s purchase. However, "it would be highly doubtful Trump would affect the course’s status on the rota." Within the sport, Trump’s influence "is seen as positive, as he has updated and substantially improved golf resorts" (TELEGRAPH, 4/27). In Glasgow, Jody Harrison reported Turnberry "is the only course on the Open roster which is in private hands." Leisurecorp are "known to be keen to sell." Trump, who already owns the Menie golf resort course in Aberdeenshire, "has previously said he would not invest in Scotland again after falling out with the Scottish Government over plans to construct an offshore windfarm in Aberdeen bay." However, "it appears that the chance to get his hands on" a course due to host the Open has been "too much to resist for the businessman" (HERALD SCOTLAND, 4/28).
Hungarian side MTK Budapest CEO Tamas Deutsch said that the club is planning to spend 6.5B forint ($28M) on building a new stadium, according to Jaroslaw Adamowski of INSIDE WORLD FOOTBALL. Construction works at the stadium "are scheduled to be completed" by '20. The new facility "will have a 5,000 seating capacity." MTK's Hidegkuti Nándor stadium "has a total capacity of 12,700, including 5,700 seats." Modernization works at the facility "were launched in 1995." Last year, the Hungarian government announced the launch of a 40B forint government program "to modernize and expand 27 Hungarian football stadiums by 2016." The program "has been developed in cooperation with the Hungarian Football Federation" (INSIDE WORLD FOOTBALL, 4/28).
Chilean first division side Universidad de Chile President Carlos Heller met with Pudahuel, Chile Mayor Johnny Carrasco on Monday to "turn in an architectural proposal for Universidad de Chile's future stadium," according to EMOL. Carrasco said that he "has still not received the definitive project and presented some limitations" of the Laguna Carén land identified as the stadium's possible location. Carrasco: "The certificate of preliminary indications says that the land is susceptible to flooding." Carrasco added that despite this, "if the project benefits the community, there are no other authorities that can oppose it." He said that if the "neighbors agree that it will not cause them difficulties, there will not be any problems." The next steps "are to receive the finalized project to turn it in for discussion to the city's Municipal Council, where local experts will also participate." Carrasco: "I am a fan of La U, but first I am the mayor of Pudahuel and I cannot just accept this project because I am a fan of the club" (EMOL, 4/28).