Quote of the Day
"He has an amazing reputation in the USA, and not just because he runs around half-naked in Super Bowl adverts. He has charisma."-- American Soccer Now Editor-in-Chief John Godfrey, on why Beckham can make Americans love soccer where Pele and Best failed before him. (SUNDAY TIMES, 2/9)
The Sochi Games opened with a spectacle of ballet, fireworks and references to greats of Russian culture from Tchaikovsky to Tolstoy. But the ceremony, as visually striking and creative as it was, couldn’t escape the long shadow of politics and controversy cast over these Olympics.
Atos renews TOP sponsorship deal with IOC through '20.
Sochi Winter Games organizers say empty seats because of security delays, late arrivals.
ICC passes "controversial shake-up" that favors India, U.K., Australia.
Fashion label New Yorker pulls out of sponsorship of BBL club Braunschweig.
Fox Sports, Channel Nine consider backing for summer Nines circuit.
Beckham has charisma to succeed where Pele, Best failed, Times suggests.
Leeds United confirms sale of 75% stake to Italian Cellino.
Brazil organizers say 100,000 security personnel planned for World Cup.
CSL side Guangzhou Evergrande signs sponsorship deal with Nissan.
- Sochi Games Open With A Spectacle
- Atos Renews Deal With IOC Through '20
- Sochi Organizers Explain Empty Seats
- Russian TV Fakes Olympic Rings In Flames
- Russians Receive Support From China
- Latest Headlines From The Sochi Blog
- Russian Capitalists Supporting Home Team
- Podcast With Former IOC Exec Payne
- Tokyo 2020 Chief Faces Media Scrutiny
- Olympic Notes