Rio Mayor: First Venues Ready In 2015 Sports Hub To Upgrade Playing Surface Sparta Prague To Modernize Stadium Allianz Arena Increases Capacity To 75K Munich City Council Approves New Arena Fürth To Invest In Ronhof Stadium Facility Notes City Catering Partner Eyeing Expansion Inter CEO: San Siro Option Number One Scientists Find 'Super-Bacteria' In Rio
Enter amount in full numerical value, without currency symbol or commas (ex: 3000000).
SBD Global/January 22, 2014/Facilities
FIFA Threatens To Dump Curitiba World Cup Stadium, Which Faces 'Emergency' Situation
Published January 22, 2014
WANT MORE GREAT STORIES LIKE THIS?
CLICK ON ONE OF THESE BUTTONS
SPEEDING IT UP: REUTERS' Andrew Downie reported Brazil Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo said that his government "would do everything to avoid the potential embarrassment." Rebelo: "All our efforts are focused on taking the measures that will guarantee the Parana stadium is in the 2014 World Cup. Stadium owners Atletico Paranaense said that the stadium is only 88.8% complete. It was "supposed to be ready in December," but like five other grounds due to be finished last month, "it is behind schedule" (REUTERS, 1/21). The BBC reported four matches are due to be played at the 42,000-capacity Curitiba stadium: Spain-Australia, Honduras-Ecuador, Iran-Nigeria and Algeria-Russia. The warning "should come as a wake-up call for Brazil's organising committee," which "has been criticised" for downplaying the seriousness of the delays in Curitiba and at several other venues. FIFA and the Parana state government "have promised to inject" an extra $17M to "speed up work at the venue" (BBC, 1/21).