Leicester City Sacks Claudio Ranieri Six Nations Jeopardizing Sponsorship Appeal Hangin' With ... Tom Elsden Groups To Bid For Southampton, Source Says Football Betting Reports Are 'Tip Of The Iceberg' 'This Girl Can' Campaign Promotes Activism Orange Interested In Canal+ Sports Rights Pacquiao, Khan Confirm Fight Negotiations IMG Produces Celtic Football Documentary Africa Wants 10 World Cup Places
SBD Global/January 9, 2014/MediaPrint All
Argentina Cabinet Chief Jorge Capitanich said on Tuesday that the country's state channel will broadcast all 64 2014 World Cup matches for free, 32 of them live and the rest on time delay. The games will be broadcast through Public TV (Channel 7) and the Depor TV signal broadcast by satellite. The "Football for All" program will be responsible for the transmission of the games. The opening ceremony and all of the Argentine national team's matches will be among the 32 games broadcast live. Capitanich said that the two channels will broadcast for at least 10 hours per day from Brazil during the Cup. Argentine FA President Julio Grondona said, "The AFA and the clubs have done their duty. Fate will tell if we start in the Maracana and end at the Maracana." Argentine state TV broadcast the 2010 World Cup and the Olympics in both '08 and '12 (CONMEBOL). The EFE reported Capitanich "highlighted what football means to Argentinians" and said that the World Cup "entails a country's identity." Plans "are in place to include private advertising during the World Cup broadcasts to reduce programming costs," which are covered by money from public coffers. Argentine Minister of Social Development Alicia Kirchner "celebrated that there will be football for everyone." The "Football for All" program, which was created by the Argentine government in '09, broadcasts matches from the domestic leagues, World Cup qualifying matches and various int'l tournaments (EFE, 1/7).
In a white paper, French pay-TV channel Canal+ "suggested the establishment of a decree prohibiting a company connected to a Ligue 1 club to participate in a tender" for Professional Football League (LFP) rights, according to Anne-Yasmine Machet of L'EXPRESS. Canal+'s white paper read, "Qatar combines the qualities of seller and buyer of media rights to Ligue 1." Therefore, Canal+ "seeks to prohibit its biggest competitor, beIN Sport, from participating in the tender of the LFP rights," to be launched in '15. In a note written by Canal+ to the attention of the government, the pay-TV channel "denounced the 'conflict of interest'" of Qatar, which owns Ligue 1 side Paris St. Germain and beIN Sport. The white paper read, "Qatar presents three key levels of bargaining for Ligue 1 rights: it is the main seller, it is a major buyer and it can exert a decisive influence on the promoter." The only solution to this conflict of interest "is more or less the establishment of an order prohibiting a TV owner of a football club from participating in a tender for LFP rights." However, it is worth mentioning that Canal+ also owned PSG before it sold the club in '06 (L'EXPRESS, 1/7).
Former Australian Football League club North Melbourne player Wayne Carey "has emerged as favourite to claim two high-profile broadcasting roles next season," according to Pierik & Bartley of THE AGE. Carey "has been locked in serious negotiations" with host TV networks Channel Seven and Fox Footy. This "would involve Carey providing special comments on Seven's Friday night coverage," where he could replace former Geelong premiership captain Tom Harley, while he would also replace Paul Roos on Fox Footy's iconic Monday night review show, "On the Couch." If Carey is successful, "it would complete a major comeback for the dual premiership skipper." Carey had been dumped by the Nine Network in '08, where he was part of Monday night's Footy Classified, "because of his off-field issues" (THE AGE, 1/8).
German sports network Sport1 has extended its broadcast rights deal for the FIA World Rally Championship and will continue to show the series in '14 (DIGITALFERNSEHEN, 1/7). ... Multi Screen Media-owned sports channel Sony Six "has won the exclusive broadcast rights for the Australian Open tennis championship" from '15-19. It "is the first Grand Slam tennis event Sony Six has acquired" (RAPID TV NEWS, 1/8).