Battle For Control Of AOC Intensifies Rome Poised To Join Formula E Calendar Experts: Pregnant Serena To Attract Sponsors Hangin' With ... Matthieu Fenaert Sky Reports Decreased Profits OVO Energy To Sponsor Tour Of Britain Ban On Gambling Ads Could Affect Broadcasts League Notes ManU, Facebook Partner For AR Platform Executive Transactions
SBD Global/October 30, 2013/FranchisesPrint All
The London Stock Exchange has given former Scottish League 1 Rangers Dir Dave King the "go-ahead to return to the Rangers boardroom," according to John Ferguson of the Scotland DAILY RECORD. An LSE spokesperson on Monday night "confirmed the businessman would be free to become chairman so long as Ibrox advisers rubber-stamped the move." It had "been thought King’s South African tax conviction and his previous board appointment at Ibrox may have stood in the way of a comeback." An LSE spokesperson, however, "appeared to clear the way." The spokesperson said, "I had a look in the reports and there were these issues in South Africa, the other thing was that he had been on the board previously. So the question would be whether these things would stop him taking a stake again. I think the answer on both these points is they wouldn't" (DAILY RECORD, 10/29). The London EXPRESS reported Scottish FA CEO Stewart Regan "issued a twofold warning to Rangers as one more crisis threatened to engulf the Ibrox club." The first was over King’s "eligibility to be involved in any official capacity." The second "concerned any possibility of disgraced owner Craig Whyte still being involved in the background with the likes of Blue Pitch or Margerita Holdings." Both companies hold a combined 15% share "in the club, but it’s unclear who is behind them." Regan addressed the "issue of King’s potential involvement." Referring to King’s "issues with the South African tax authorities that led to a payment" of around £43M ($69M) to those authorities, Regan said, "There is a process which needs to be gone through in order for any director coming onto a football club board to be deemed fit and proper. To say we have no issues with him as far as the SFA fit and proper test is concerned is a little premature" (EXPRESS, 10/26).
Mercedes F1 Team Principal Ross Brawn "will leave his position" at the end of the F1 season, according to Benson & Jordan of the BBC. Sources close to Mercedes said that Brawn and Mercedes "have failed to reach an agreement on a role in which he would have been happy to stay at the team." Mercedes "will now be run in tandem by their two executive directors, Toto Wolff and Paddy Lowe," along with Non-Exec Chair Niki Lauda. Both Mercedes and Brawn "refused to comment on the development." Brawn, 58, "wanted to stay in overall charge, as he made clear at the Japanese Grand Prix earlier this month." However, sources close to the team said that option "was never open" (BBC, 10/29). In London, Paul Weaver reported Brawn was thought to be on the verge of leaving when Lowe, the former Technical Dir at McLaren, "was signed last winter before Mercedes said they wanted a 'soft transition.'" It is thought that Brawn "would prefer to remain with Mercedes until next year, to oversee the biggest technical changes in the sport since 2009." But at stake is "what control he would have and Brawn, who has always been his own man, would want to retain overall power." A spokesperson for the team would only say that Lauda "had already confirmed Mercedes will not announce anything regarding Brawn's future until the end of the season" (GUARDIAN, 10/29).