Hopp To Become Majority Owner Of TSG Parma Owner Confirms Takeover Of Club Hangin' With ... Seth Holmes Match-Fixing Law Doesn't Go Far Enough Allianz Arena Increases Capacity To 75K Munich City Council Approves New Arena Marussia Nose Section Sells For $23,500 Ecclestone Pushes For Engine Changes FIBA Says JBA Facing Serious Issues Executive Transactions
SBD Global/July 11, 2013/Leagues and Governing BodiesPrint All
The FIA "has banned media and 'non-essential personnel' from Grand Prix pit lanes after a cameraman was injured at last Sunday's German Grand Prix," according to the BBC. The ban, issued by F1's ruling body, covers "anyone other than event marshals and team personnel." The FIA said in a statement, "Access for approved media will be confined to the pit wall" (BBC, 7/9). The PA's Jamie Strickland reported Sky Sports was quick to announce that it hoped its "coverage would not be affected by the new rules." Sky Sports said, "Following the serious incident which occurred in the pitlane during the German GP last weekend, Sky Sports F1 HD will be working to all new guidelines as specified by FOM. Safety remains a prime concern and we are sure that, whilst the new regulations will mean certain changes to pitlane protocols, we are confident that our coverage will not be affected" (PA, 7/10). The London EXPRESS reported pit lane safety improvements "have been on the FIA's radar for some time, and Sunday's incident looks set to bring forward two planned changes to the rulebook" (EXPRESS, 7/9).
POLITICAL MINEFIELD: Also in London, Kevin Eason reported F1 "is steering into another political minefield as it gears up for a controversial three days of testing at Silverstone." Mercedes execs "are thought to be pushing for inclusion in the test next week, despite a ban by Formula One’s authorities." Pirelli Motorsport Dir Paul Hembery "is also under severe pressure from the FIA" to ensure that future tests are clearly above board, while teams "are in a state of paranoia about rivals stealing a march in performance if any are allowed to take part in an individual test." It is an unhealthy mix "leaving Pirelli in the middle of the political stew and unable to find answers from the teams or the FIA." Hembery "is appealing for sweeping changes to test regulations," not just to avoid the debacle of Silverstone, where there were four tire blowouts in a single grand prix, but also to produce tires that "promote good racing" (LONDON TIMES, 7/9). In Barcelona, Raymond Blancafort reported it will be required that all personnel with pit-lane access wear helmets (MUNDO DEPORTIVO, 7/10).
Following the news of the disappearance of the Atlético Madrid handball team, "there have been many concerned reactions from top Spanish handball figures," according to EL MUNDO. Spanish Handball Federation President Francisco Blázquez "wanted to show his deep regret at the news," emphasizing that it is a situation that has shocked the sport. Blázquez: "Today is, without a doubt, the saddest day since I became President. Since then and until today I have tried to help in every way, and I now make myself available to every director, coach and player for whatever reason why they may need me." Former Spanish Handball Federation President Juan De Dios Román considered the disappearance "very bad news." Román: "It is very bad news for the Spanish sport" (EL MUNDO, 7/10).