R&A Ends 260-Year Ban On Women New Treaty Tackles Match-Fixing F1 CEO Confirms Crackdown On Radio Use R&A To Vote On Admitting Female Members No Deal For 3 Former Cronulla Players Formula 1 Bans Coded, Direct Messages Scottish Sports Figures Enter Debate League Notes IRB Ready To Sniff Out 'Fraudsters' League Notes
Enter amount in full numerical value, without currency symbol or commas (ex: 3000000).
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBD Global/June 24, 2013/Leagues and Governing Bodies
Mercedes, Pirelli Found Guilty By International Tribunal In 'Tyregate' Case
Published June 24, 2013
WANT MORE GREAT STORIES LIKE THIS?
CLICK ON ONE OF THESE BUTTONS
THE PUNISHMENT: REUTERS' Alan Baldwin wrote the tribunal "ordered the British-based team to miss a three-day young driver test scheduled for Silverstone in July." The tribunal had the power to impose a heavy fine, dock points or even ban Mercedes from the world championship -- "although that was never a likely option for one of the sport's major players who are currently third overall." Champions Red Bull, who had protested to the FIA at last month's Monaco Grand Prix when they found out Mercedes had used its current car and drivers in the test, "had indicated they wanted to see a tough response." After the hearing, Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner said, "Usually if you commit a sporting offense there's a sporting penalty that goes with it" (REUTERS, 6/21).
ACCEPTING THE DECISION: The BBC's Andrew Benson wrote Mercedes said it "acknowledges and accepts the decision" of the FIA Int'l Tribunal. In the best interests of the sport, the team does not intend to avail itself of any right to appeal the decision." The tribunal said it was "unable to express any opinion" as to whether testing carried out by Ferrari with a two-year-old car in '12 and '13 was "properly authorised." But it said it was "equally unsatisfactory" that Whiting had given his consent to this even though the tribunal "had no evidence before it which indicates his opinion had in fact been wrong." The decision to split the costs equally suggests that "the tribunal felt the FIA was not completely blameless in the episode" (BBC, 6/21). In London, Simon Cass wrote the decision certainly places the focus on F1's rule makers, the FIA, "to tighten up the regulations regarding in-season testing given that the leniency of the verdict on the int'l tribunal points to the fact there are significant loopholes which need to be addressed." The lack of a draconian punishment "certainly suggests the int'l tribunal was sympathetic to the apparent inconsistencies in the rules" (DAILY MAIL, 6/21).
RED BULL THREAT: SPORT BILD's Bianca Garloff reported Red Bull Motorsports Dir Helmut Marko revealed his dislike of Mercedes' punishment in the tire test scandal. Marko: "That's a joke. We expected a tougher punishment." The other F1 teams "have not issued official statements so far." However, a Ferrari spokesperson said, "We are disappointed that Mercedes pointed the finger at us in its defense" (SPORT BILD, 6/21). In London, Kevin Eason reported Red Bull is "threatening to take the law into their own hands as a direct challenge to the authority of the FIA." Red Bull execs "are considering boycotting the young drivers’ test to set up their own private session in a mirror of the Mercedes case." A private test "would breach the FIA rulebook," but Red Bull said that they "would take the risk of a reprimand -- the punishment meted out to Mercedes -- for the benefit of three days of testing" (LONDON TIMES, 6/24).