Currency Converter

Enter amount in full numerical value, without currency symbol or commas (ex: 3000000).


SBD Global/May 7, 2013/International Football

Scottish Premier League Called After Supporter Dies Of Suspected Heart Attack Near Pitch

The Scottish Premier League match between Kilmarnock and Hibernian Sunday "was abandoned when a spectator collapsed and later died of a suspected heart attack," according to Graham McColl of the LONDON TIMES. The man was treated for 15 minutes "in front of the East Stand shortly after half-time." The game was 52 minutes old when it was stopped by referee Kevin Clancy, "out of respect for the fan, who was attended to on the running track." Paramedics "could be seen vigorously administering cardiopulmonary resuscitation" (LONDON TIMES, 5/6). The Scotland DAILY RECORD reported the fan was identified as 49-year-old James Haswell. Haswell, a "lifelong Killie fan," died at 7:30pm local time. Kilmarnock Manager Kenny Shiels said that there was "no choice but to call off the game out of respect" to Haswell's family. Shiels: "We need to show respect to the relevant families. Football isn't as important as human life. We've shown our respect, both clubs" (DAILY RECORD, 5/6).

: In Glasgow, Berry & Haggerty reported both club doctors -- Kilmarnock's Gerry Canning and Hibernian's Duncan Reid "helped out paramedics." Kilmarnock goalkeeper Cammy Bell "was relieved" when the referee called the match. Bell: "This was a terrible situation, especially with it being so close to the pitch. The ref made the right decision as you could not pay attention to the match when a fan is receiving potential life-saving treatment at the side of the pitch." Shiels "is now looking at a rearranged date for the game." Shiels: "I spoke briefly about it to (Hibernian Manager) Pat Fenlon, and we suggested Wednesday week -- May 15. That looks to be the most likely date" (DAILY RECORD, 5/6).
Return to top
Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug