Hangin' With ... Ioris Francini MP & Silva Set To Grow Chinese Operation Executive Transactions Freezers Fold Despite Business Support EPL Clubs Made Record £3.4B Last Year Brazil Investigating Possible Corruption Thakur Looking To Eliminate ROFR Chivas To Hold Preseason Tests Scottish Golf Could Snub Muirfield Chef Demands Sponsors Meet Standards
SBD Global/February 28, 2013/Events and AttractionsPrint All
A police unit dedicated to economic crime prevention during London 2012 said that the ticketing market "needs to be further regulated," according to Jessica Tasman-Jones. Operation Podium, set up in June '10, said that ticket fraud, which is the "most prevalent ticket crime," causes at least £40M ($60.6M) worth of damage to the sports and creative industries each year. This month the unit released "Ticket Crime: Problem Profile" as a result of insights gained into ticket crime. The report said that there "needs to be an open and transparent ticketing market underpinned by legislation or regulation." It also added that victims "need to be encouraged to report suspected offences and relationships needed to be strengthened with search engine companies and overseas website registrars and hosting companies" (LEISURE MANAGEMENT, 2/26).
Retired golfer Nick Faldo "will expand his golf development efforts in the Middle East" with the launch of a new Faldo Series tournament in the UAE, according to ISPORTSCONNECT. The Middle East Championship "will be held at the Al Ain Equestrian, Shooting and Golf Club in Abu Dhabi for the next three years, starting this year on April 17-18." Faldo said, “We look forward to bringing the Faldo Series to Abu Dhabi for the first time and to continue giving opportunity to golfers across the Middle East. I thank Al Ain Equestrian, Shooting and Golf Club for sharing our vision and also the Emirates Golf Federation for its support.” Golfers aged 12 to 21, supported by The R&A, ISPS and the European Tour, "will compete over 36 holes for the Faldo Series Middle East Championship at the Al Ain Golf Club on April 17-18" (ISPORTSCONNECT, 2/27).
Adelaide V8 Supercars turncoat Shane Van Gisbergen "could face a legal bid to stop him racing in this weekend's season-opening Adelaide 500," according to Mark Fogarty of THE AGE. Speculation is rife that Van Gisbergen's former team "is planning to launch a race-eve court challenge to his switch to a rival squad, claiming his move contravenes the terms of his release." For at least the past two weeks, Van Gisbergen and his new team "have been bracing for an injunction seeking to enforce a one-year non-compete clause" (THE AGE, 2/28). In Sydney, James Phelps reported the Holden Racing Team is set to take another A$1M ($1.03M) a year gamble on James Courtney with the famous V8 outfit "preparing to table a new offer to lock down the former champion for another year." Courtney's future "has been the subject of much debate with many expecting him to flee the underperforming stable following two difficult years that have seen the 2010 champion win only one race" (DAILY TELEGRAPH, 2/27). APNZ reported the Pukekohe 500, the season finale for the V8 SuperTourers, "has been brought forward a week to avoid a date clash with the V8 Supercars, which involves a lot of the same drivers." It will now be raced over the weekend of Nov. 29-Dec. 1. The original date "clashed with the the Sydney 500" (APNZ, 2/27).