Zhuhai To Host Int'l Women's Tennis ManU's Ed Woodward EPL's Top Paid Exec Sky Looking To Add To Sports Portfolio ECA, EPFL Reject FIFPro Transfer Demands Africa United Behind Sepp Blatter Executive Transactions DFL CEO Cautions Bundesliga To Beware Names In The News Twitter Me This... Royal Troon Ready To Welcome Women
SBD Global/February 15, 2013/People and Pop CulturePrint All
The sponsors that helped make sprinter OSCAR PISTORIUS the highest profile and highest paid Paralympic athlete in the world are now "having to rethink their commitment to the sportsman" after he was charged with murdering his girlfriend REEVA STEENKAMP on Thursday, according to Vanessa Kortekaas of the FINANCIAL TIMES. The disabled athlete, whose performance at the London Games "made him into a national hero in South Africa," had links with Nike, Oakley, perfume maker Thierry Mugler and running blade manufacturer Ossur. His sponsorship deals were "estimated to be worth" about £3M ($4.6M). A Nike spokesperson said: "Nike extends its deepest sympathy and condolences to all families concerned following this tragic incident. As it is a police matter, Nike will not comment further at this time" (FINANCIAL TIMES, 2/14). Ossur CEO JON SIGURDSSON said, "I can only say that our thoughts and prayers are with Oscar and the families involved in the tragedy. It is completely premature to discuss or speculate on our business relationship with him" (REUTERS, 2/14).
WAITING FOR THE FACTS: In a statement, the Int'l Paralympic Committee said that it will not be commenting on the matter at this time. The statement read, "This is a police matter, with an investigation currently underway. Therefore it would be inappropriate for the IPC to comment on this incident until the official police process has concluded (IPC). MARKETING WEEK's Russell Parsons said that BT is sticking by Pistorius "for the moment." A BT spokesperson said Pistorius "is still a BT ambassador." BT "featured the athlete prominently in its Games marketing activity last year." In a statement, BT said, "We are shocked by this terrible, tragic news. We await the outcome of the South African police investigation" (MARKETING WEEK, 2/14).
PULLING THE PLUG: In Johannesburg, Gabi Mbele reported Pistorius’ adverts with private broadcaster M-Net "are being pulled off air." The campaign, which has Pistorius alongside two local comedians, first aired on Jan. 20, and shows the three "promoting the Academy Awards campaign being run by the channel." M-Net spokesperson Lani Lombard confirmed that its Pistorius campaign "would be pulled off air on Thursday morning." Lombard said, "Out of respect and sympathy to the bereaved, M-Net will be pulling its entire Oscar campaign featuring Oscar Pistorius with immediate effect" (TIMES LIVE, 2/14). ESPN's Darren Rovell reported that a picture was posted on Twitter of "construction workers already taking down a billboard for the campaign from the side of a road in Johannesburg" (ESPN, 2/14).
NIKE'S STANCE: BUSINESS DAY's Samuel Mungadze reported Nike South Africa said that it "will not yet withdraw its support" for Pistorius. Nike SA spokesperson SERUSCKA NAIDOO said, "This is a very unfortunate story, and it is still under investigation. We’ll not make any decision until we hear from Oscar or his agent." Pistorius' management team, In-site Sports Management Managing Dir Peet van Zyl said the incident was "very unfortunate," adding that In-site will issue a statement in due course (BUSINESS DAY, 2/14). A Nike advert with the tagline "I am the bullet in the chamber" has been removed from Pistorius' website. The ad showed a lycra-clad Pistorius "sprinting out of the blocks next to the sportswear brand's 'Just do it' message and swoosh" (SPORT24, 2/14). In London, James Riach noted Nike has "an unfortunate history of associating with athletes who attract adverse publicity." Among them are LANCE ARMSTRONG, TIGER WOODS, MARION JONES, JUSTIN GATLIN and MICHAEL VICK (GUARDIAN, 2/14).
ATHLETES REACT: In London, Riach reported athletes on Twitter "reacted with shock." Team GB heptathlon Gold Medalist JESSICA ENNIS wrote, "Woken up to the horrendous news about Oscar Pistorius mistakenly shooting his girlfriend. What an awful tragedy." Britain Paralympic 100m Gold Medalist JONNIE PEACOCK wrote, "can not believe it....", while the former 400m sprinter IWAN THOMAS wrote, "I am in total shock to hear the news about athlete and friend Oscar, my thoughts are with him and all involved. That's all I have to say." British 400m Bronze Medalist KATHARINE MERRY described Pistorius as: "One of the nicest guys, true gent....omg.....in shock for oscar and this situation. Imagine, just imagine..." British triple jumper PHILLIPS IDOWU tweeted, "Waking up to extremely sad news about Oscar Pistorius mistakenly shooting his girlfriend. Terrible tragedy, thoughts & prayers with you" (GUARDIAN, 2/14).
WORLDWIDE ATTENTION: In Johannesburg, Thabang Matjama wrote "The whole world woke up on Thursday morning to reports that Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius had allegedly killed his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp at his Pretoria home." The Huffington Post ran the headline, "'Blade Runner' charged with murder." The London Guardian said Pistorius had been described by former LOCOG Chair SEBASTIAN COE before the London Olympics as a "real inspiration to people around the world." The N.Y. Times, however, "noted his interest in guns, and the fact that he had produced a weapon during an interview" (MAIL & GUARDIAN, 2/14). SPORT24 noted Pistorius was "publicly adored but has a rocky private life of rash behaviour, beautiful women, guns and fast cars." His "playboy private life has courted controversy." Ex-girlfriend SAMANTHA TAYLOR, in November, said, "Oscar is certainly not what people think he is." Taylor added, "Oscar has a way with women. Strange, she's probably not the only one at his side" (SPORT24, 2/14).
THE CASE: REUTERS' Tiisetso Motsoeneng reported police said that they "opened a murder case after a 30-year-old woman was found dead at the Paralympic and Olympic star's house in the Silverlakes gated complex on the capital's outskirts." The police said Pistorius and Steenkamp had been "the only people in the house at the time of the shooting," adding that "witnesses had been interviewed about the early morning incident." Policeman DENISE BEUKES said, "We are talking about neighbors and people that heard things earlier in the evening and when the shooting took place" (REUTERS, 2/14).
A-League Sydney FC coach FRANK FARINA will remain in his role "for the next two seasons." The 48-year-old had originally been given the job on an interim basis, but after the Sky Blues secured five wins in their past 12 games, "the board felt comfortable extending his deal to a permanent arrangement" (SYDNEY MORNING HERALD, 2/15). ... Havas Sports & Entertainment has appointed Sports Rights Solutions' UWE ALTEN as managing director of the network's Frankfurt office. Alten has worked for several brands including Mercedes, Allianz, Wella, Opel, Audi, Hyundai, Kia and Coca-Cola (Havas). ... League Championship Huddersfield Town FC has appointed former Barnsley Manager MARK ROBINS as manager. The 43-year-old "will take charge of his first game on Sunday" when Town takes on Wigan in the fifth round of the FA Cup (PA, 2/14).
Do you have an executive announcement? If so, please send to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
F1 team Force India has confirmed that former German driver ADRIAN SUTIL is in Silverstone to get his seat fitted and possibly attend F1's Barcelona tests. The team "has still not revealed who will be its second driver" for the '13 season besides Brit PAUL DI RESTA (MOTORSPORT TOTAL, 2/14). ... Former Australian Football League personalities BARRY HALL and CAMERON MOONEY have joined the Fox Footy "commentary team" (TV TONIGHT, 2/13). ... KOBE BRYANT's "mere presence" on Sina Weibo, China's Twitter-like social media site, "has stirred plenty of excitement." Weibo "has verified" that Bryant set up an individual account on the microblogging site. Bryant's followers numbered more than 100,000 "within hours on Thursday, although no comments from Bryant had appeared" (AP, 2/14). ... Korean Olympic Committee President PARK YONG-SUNG "returned home Thursday with a much-awaited" Olympic Bronze Medal that had been denied to footballer PARK JONG-WOO since August for his controversial celebration at the London Games (YONHAP, 2/14). ... Argentinian football legend DIEGO MARADONA is a father again after his partner VERONICA OJEDA gave birth to a boy named DIEGO FERNANDO (LA NACION, 2/14). ... Former South Africa assistant football coach PHIL SETSHEDI "has been sentenced to eight years in jail for trying to bribe a referee." Setshedi, who was CLIVE BARKER's assistant when South Africa won the 1996 Africa Cup of Nations, "will serve three years with the other five suspended" (REUTERS, 2/13). ... Serie A Cagliari President MASSIMO CELLINO "was one of three people arrested Thursday as police investigated possible irregularities over the construction of the club's Is Arenas stadium." Cellino was arrested with MAURO CONTINI, the mayor for the district of Quartu where the stadium is located, and the councillor for public works, STEFANO LILLIU. All three "face charges of suspicion of embezzlement and forgery" (AFP, 2/14). ... Fox Deportes announced the addition of former football player CARLOS HERMOSILLO to its line-up of commentators in the No. 1 rated football talk show "La Última Palabra" (Fox Deportes).
Bild's HEIKO NIEDDERER: "Überlege nach Südafrika zu ziehen. Scheint da ja durchaus üblich, dass nachts blonde Topmodels einbrechen... #Pistorius #pistolius" ... ("I'm thinking of moving to South Africa. Blonde top models breaking in at night seems to be a common occurrence there... #Pistorius #pistolius")
London Telegraph's IAN CHADBAND: "If Twitter reflects our world, type 'Pistorius' into search. Then read the sick, twisted glee over this story & feel profoundly depressed"
Yahoo!'s CHARLES ROBINSON: "Tiger. Lance. Oscar. Rough patches for those international Nike campaigns the last few years."
Canal+ Sports Dir CYRIL LINETTE: "Très heureux de pouvoir proposer la F1 en exclu a nos abonnes des la mi mars. Essais libres, qualifs, Grand Prix, émissions vous aurez tout!" ... ("Very happy to be able to propose F1 in exclusivity to our subscribers starting mid march. Free practices, qualifications, Grand Prix, you will have everything!")
London Times' TONY BARRETT: "Hundreds of Robocop style police outside Zenit's Petrovsky Stadium. Not the warmest welcome I've had at a European football ground."
If you see a tweet we will not want to miss, send it to us at email@example.com.