Published February 12, 2013
Newport City Council budget cuts have put the future of Newport Stadium in jeopardy.
Wales' Newport Stadium "could become the latest casualty of proposed cuts by Newport City Council in a bid to save" £50,000 ($78,000), according to Will Bain of SOUTH WALES ARGUS. The stadium, former home of Newport County football team, "has been at the heart of city sport for years, but could be scrapped or be taken over by a third party to help balance" the '14-15 budget. In the report to the council’s scrutiny committee on the '13-14 budget and a five-year middle-term financial plan, a list of possible savings proposes "closure of Newport Stadium -- request operator expressions of interest." The proposal is part of a list of proposed service investments and savings on which the committee will be invited to comment. The stadium proposal states that the site is "not currently staffed unless there is a booking that covers the staff costs, and savings will result from premises costs of a third party being responsible for all repairs and maintenance and also grounds maintenance." Newport County CEO Dave Boddy said that although the club was now at Rodney Parade it "still held an interest in the stadium." He said that he planned to meet the council on Wednesday to discuss issues that "would likely include the stadium." Meanwhile, Newport Stadium "is not the only athletics arena in Gwent to hit the headlines." Last week Cwmbran Stadium was "banned from hosting competitions" after UK Athletics decided to withdraw the competition license from the Torfaen county council because it fell below required safety levels (SOUTH WALES ARGUS, 2/11