EPL Clubs Made Record £3.4B Last Year Scottish Golf Could Snub Muirfield Mourinho Inks ManU Contract Chelsea Wants Millions For Mourinho Brand FFA Slashes Socceroos Ticket Prices Robertson To Deal With Misbehaving Fans Football Notes Goal.com Teams Up With China's Baidu West Ham Gets Green Light Tottenham To Play At Wembley
Enter amount in full numerical value, without currency symbol or commas (ex: 3000000).
Upcoming Conferences and Events
May 31 - Jun 2
SBD Global/November 19, 2012/International Football
FIFA's Top Cop To Study Evidence That Qatar Bid Team Offered Cash To Voter's Son
Published November 19, 2012
FIFA INVESTIGATES: In London, Owen Gibson noted FIFA said that it was "contacted with the allegations on Friday and the Sunday Times immediately provided all evidence relating to them." A spokesperson said, "After receiving these documents, FIFA has immediately forwarded them to Michael J. Garcia, independent ethics committee chairman of the investigatory branch." However, the Qatar 2022 organizing committee has accused the Sunday Times of being "malicious and reckless" in its presentation of the discussions, but they "admitted that they took place." The committee on Sunday insisted it "operated to the highest standards of integrity during the bidding process for the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup, strictly adhering to all FIFA rules and regulations for bidding nations." It added it was making "good progress" with preparations for the tournament. Garcia will look into the "opaque and controversial bidding process" (GUARDIAN, 11/18).
EXAMINING THE PAST: Also in London, Adam Shergold noted Samson Adamu spoke at the June '10 dinner in Johannesburg, South Africa "assuring a star-studded crowd of African football legends that his companies had 'no commercial affiliates.'" His father Amos Adamu was "among 300 eminent guests at the free event who enjoyed a three-course dinner and traditional African music to celebrate the achievement" of past heroes. He was "secretly filmed in Sept. '10 offering to sell his vote for the 2018 World Cup, which went to Russia for an £800,000 payment into a personal bank account." He claimed that he would use the money "to build football pitches in his native Nigeria." He was "also filmed saying that his bid for the 2022 finals was not for sale because it was going to Qatar." As a result, "he was sacked from the exec committee, stripped of his World Cup vote and banned from football for three years" (DAILY MAIL, 11/18).