NZRU, Sky TV Signs Five-Year Deal Parramatta 'Inadequate' To Host ACL Gold Coast Fined For Salary Cap Breach UEFA Gives Euro 2016 Hosts $25.3M ASADA Hits Back Over Player Welfare UEFA, CAF Presidents Declare Peace Football Notes CA Signs Naming-Rights Deal With Bupa UEFA Mulls Discipline For Racism At Games Prince Ali Could Run For FIFA Presidency
Enter amount in full numerical value, without currency symbol or commas (ex: 3000000).
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBD Global/November 19, 2012/International Football
Five Aussie Clubs Are In Bid For Beckham, But His Agent Denies Rumors
Published November 19, 2012
IN DENIAL: THE ADVERTISER's Val Migliaccio noted Adelaide Chair Greg Griffin said that the club had "instructed its football director Michael Petrillo to make contact with the superstar's agent" once his contract ends. Despite Beckham's agent "denying reports Australia may be a destination, it's understood his management doused the A-League flame because Beckham is still in season with L.A. Galaxy." Griffin said, "Once David Beckham ends his season with L.A. Galaxy, the race is on" (THE ADVERTISER, 11/19). The AP's Rob Harris noted that Beckham's representatives "ruled out the former England captain moving to an Australian club as uncertainty surrounds his future" at his current club. Football Federation Australia had claimed that it had "received an approach by an agent representing the 37-year-old to play some matches with an A-League team this season" (AP, 11/16). FFA CEO David Gallop responded to the denials on radio and said that "there was no need for A-League clubs to be disheartened." He said that a "similar situation arose earlier this year" when Del Piero's camp tried to distance themselves from speculation linking him to Sydney FC. Gallop: "A similar thing happened with Del Piero in terms of the contact and, as we all know, that came to be. So let's just see how this one plays out. It's certainly an exciting proposition -- no one would deny that" (AAP, 11/17).