RLPA CEO Says Lawsuit Was 'Inevitable' Bayern Munich Launches Pay-TV Channel Sport England Releases New 'This Girl Can' Ad AS Roma Reaches Stadium Deal GAA Congress Passes Radical Changes IOC Pledges Changes To Bid Process Premiership To Stage U.S. Game In Sept. Aussie Apples To Sponsor Netball Australia MP & Silva, WorldSBK Extend Partnership Leicester Could Lose £100M If Relegated
SBD Global/August 14, 2012/FacilitiesPrint All
EPL West Ham United Manager Sam Allardyce warned that London's Olympic Stadium will become a "white elephant" if his club fails in their bid to turn it into an EPL arena, according to Oliver Kay of the LONDON TIMES. U.K. Athletics has already been guaranteed future use of the venue, which will host the World Championships in '17, but tenancy of the Olympic Park is "still to be determined." West Ham is among four bidders that are being considered by the London Legacy Development Corp. A final decision is expected by October. Allardyce said that the LLDC "would be making a big mistake if it failed to realise the benefits of staging football at the stadium." Allardyce: "If they keep it for athletics, the only time it will ever get a big crowd again after the Olympics is when they hold the World Championships there in five years' time." He added, "You only have to look around the world at some of the Olympic Stadiums that have been built. They're white elephants now. There are weeds growing there. Look at the Bird's Nest in Beijing. Look at Athens" (LONDON TIMES, 8/13).
The Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Economico e Social (BDNES) approved a R$131M ($64.7M) loan for construction work on the Arena da Baixada in Curitiba, Brazil, according to PORTAL2014.org.br. The financing of the arena, which will host four World Cup matches in '14 is R$7M ($3.5M) "less than the amount the individuals responsible for the construction were hoping." The financing will take place over five allotments. The first one will be released 30 days after the contract is signed, "which should take place in the next couple of weeks." The loan approved by the bank represents 75% of the total estimated amount needed for the stadium reforms. The other 25% have come from the state government, the city hall and the club that uses the arena (Atletico-PR). Each entity provided R$15.4M ($7.6M) for the reforms. That total cost for the reforms is estimated at R$184.6M ($91.2M) (PORTAL2014.org.br, 8/10).