Currency Converter

Enter amount in full numerical value, without currency symbol or commas (ex: 3000000).

From:
To:
 

SBD Global/August 9, 2012/Olympics

YouTube Looks To Continue Olympics Live-Streaming Deal

YouTube is no closer to buying sports broadcast rights than it was six months ago, but the Google-owned video service is so enjoying its first live streaming of the Olympics in Asia and Africa that it wants to extend the partnership through '16. YouTube Head of Sports Content Claude Ruibal said that the company's live stream of the Olympic Broadcast Services feed from London had been a success in 64 markets in Asia and Africa. The deal took nearly a year to complete and marks the first time the IOC has partnered with YouTube to stream its int'l Olympic feed live in select markets. Under terms of the deal, YouTube takes 55% of advertising revenue and gives the other 45% to the IOC. Ruibal said: "It was different for them to take on that role and not have someone else be responsible for (the broadcast). I would like to have a longer-term relationship where it's not just a few months before the event but we can announce it earlier and be more successful finding advertisers. We had success with that but would like more lead time."

LIVE SPORTS: Ruibal said that the partnerships with the IOC and NBC, which it is providing with its digital video player for live streaming of the Olympics, has been a good way for YouTube to expand its knowledge as a distributor of live sports. Ruibal: "We want to have more live sports on YouTube. We're not going to go out and buy rights for English Premier League or the Olympics, but if we can partner with the IOC to offer live distribution in markets like Asia and Africa where their broadcasters aren't going to show 2,000-plus hours, that's great for us." Ruibal said YouTube would partner with int'l sports federations over the next few years to show their world championships live. Doing so would add to a growing list of properties that have shown its events live on YouTube, including the Indian Premier League, Copa America and America's Cup sailing.
Return to top

Related Topics:

Olympics, United Kingdom

Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug