GPA CEO Identifies Greatest Challenge Players Urged Not To Sign BBL Deals Researchers Want College Sports Reform FIA Approves F1 Sale to Liberty Media League Notes NSWRL, QRL Each Demand Rep On ARLC State Institutes Reject ASC Proposal Eight Sports Challenge UK Sport Decisions Scotland Could Host NFL Game 2018 Games Are Clean, Chief Says
Enter amount in full numerical value, without currency symbol or commas (ex: 3000000).
SBD Global/July 20, 2012/Leagues and Governing Bodies
Bin Hammam Has Lifetime FIFA Ban Annulled By Court
Published July 20, 2012
BLOW TO FIFA: BLOOMBERG's Tariq Panja reported that the verdict is "the latest blow to hit FIFA." The organization responsible for the $5B World Cup "has faced corruption scandals and is in the middle of a program to reform its corporate governance" (BLOOMBERG, 7/19). The BBC reported that Bin Hammam wants to "retire from football" despite the ruling. Bin Hammam: "My wish now is just to quit and retire. I've served football for 42 years, this last year I have seen a very ugly face of the sport and of football. I should have the benefit of the doubt" (BBC, 7/19).
FIFA'S RESPONSE: FIFA said in a statement that Bin Hammam "remains suspended until the current case has been concluded." FIFA's statement read, "FIFA has taken note of the decision by the Asian Football Confederation earlier this week to open a disciplinary case against Mohamed Bin Hammam and to provisionally suspend him from taking part in any football activity for another matter." The statement continued, "The chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee extended this provisional suspension to worldwide level [Wednesday]. Therefore, Mohamed Bin Hammam remains suspended until the current case has been concluded" (FIFA).