SBD/June 3, 2014/Leagues and Governing Bodies

Memorial, Arnold Palmer Invitational Getting "Enhanced Status" On PGA Tour Schedule

Winners of the Invitational will now receive a three-year tour exemption instead of two
The Memorial Tournament and Arnold Palmer Invitational will receive "enhanced status" on the PGA Tour beginning next season, according to Dave Shedloski of GOLF WORLD. Both events "will offer an increase in prize money, and the winners will receive a three-year tour exemption (instead of two) as part of a package approved by the PGA Tour's Policy Board at last month's Wells Fargo Championship." The plan was "initiated to ensure the events remain significant stops" on the Tour schedule. PGA Tour Exec VP & COO Andy Pazder said that the purse increase and the percentage of which would come from the sponsors or the Tour "has yet to be determined." But sources said that each purse "could be as much" as $7.5M. Shedloski notes both events offered a $6.2M purse this year. Additionally, the Arnold Palmer Invitational will "remain the last of four events in the Florida Swing, while the Memorial is contractually locked into a date two weeks before the U.S. Open" (GOLF WORLD, 6/9 issue).
Return to top
Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug