Sources: EverBank, Jags Set For Extension MLBPA Files Grievance Against Astros Bon Jovi Group Studied Toronto Stadium Sites Broncos Land Three-Year Deal With CenturyLink Food Critic: Ballpark Village Restaurants Disappoint MLBAM Against Creating Digital "Fast Lanes" Sporting KC Unveils National Training Center Plans NFL Panthers Rule Out Public Cash For Renovations Tax Hikes Suggested To Fund UNLV Stadium UK Targets '15 To Finish Football Upgrades
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBD/May 28, 2014/Facilities
Cubs Unveil New Renovation Plan With Added $75M Price Tag, New Bullpen Location
Published May 28, 2014
FIELD OF DREAMS? Kenney noted that the new renovation plan would "add only five seats to the ballpark’s capacity." Cubs VP/Ballpark Operations Carl Rice added that the relocation of the on-field bullpens "would force the Cubs to expand the outfield doors in both areas." Kenney said that it would "not affect the ivy, though there will be some loss to the brick wall so relievers can see out of the bullpens." In Chicago, Paul Sullivan notes the Cubs by the All-Star break in mid-July plan to "break ground on the plaza to begin construction of a 30,000-square-foot underground clubhouse, which Kenney said is not expected to be completed" until the '16 season. He said that the two video boards in the outfield "would be ready for opening day next year." The players' part of the clubhouse would be "built under the proposed plaza in the 'triangle' area west of the ballpark, while new video rooms, batting tunnels and a training room would be next to the remodeled dugout." Kenney said that it would be the "second largest clubhouse in baseball behind the home clubhouse in new Yankee Stadium" (CHICAGO TRIBUNE, 5/28). Also in Chicago, Susan Carlson noted the Cubs want to "add 300 more seats to the Budweiser bleachers and new outfield lighting to eliminate shadows on fly balls, which has long been a complaint by players" (NBCCHICAGO.com, 5/27).
DON'T POKE THE BEAR: In Chicago, Fran Spielman notes Kenney yesterday "renewed" Cubs Chair Tom Ricketts' threat made last year to leave Wrigley Field "with a new wrinkle -- another site in Chicago -- when asked what the Cubs would do if rooftop club owners succeed in blocking the influx of outfield signs." Kenney: “If we don’t control our ballpark, then we have to look at other options and we would work with the city on that. ... We would first look in the city. That would be what would happen, but those conversations have not occurred at any level. ... Everyone believes this project is moving forward." Kenney said that the Cubs have "worked hand-in-glove with Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s administration in recent months to develop the scorched earth plan that includes seven outfield signs, including two video scoreboards and literally dares rooftop club owners to sue" (CHICAGO SUN-TIMES, 5/28).