SBD/May 20, 2014/Marketing and Sponsorship

Richard Petty: NASCAR Team Could Leave Ford, Despite Contract Extending Past '14

Petty moved his team from Dodge to Ford at the end of the ‘09 season

NASCAR team owner Richard Petty yesterday said that “he is considering [moving] his racing team from Ford,” according to Mike Organ of the Nashville TENNESSEAN. Petty said, "We talk to everybody all the time; I've been talking to Volkswagen.” Richard Petty Motorsports “currently has two Fords driven by Aric Almirola and Marcos Ambrose in the Sprint Cup Series.” Petty: “We've got to look at our team and look at our circumstances. We've got to look and say, 'Okay, what's going to be the best for us right now, what's going to the best for us two years down the road, what's going to be the best for us five years down the road?'" Organ notes Petty “moved his team from Dodge to Ford” at the end of the ‘09 season (Nashville TENNESEAN, 5/20). Ford Racing Dir Jamie Allison noted that RPM’s contract “does not expire at the end of this season.” Allison said, “We don’t want to get into the nuances of agreements, but at the end of the day, we have a relationship with RPM that’s available to them that goes beyond 2014.” MOTORSPORT.com’s Lee Spencer noted Petty “met with Toyota” during the Sprint Cup race at Richmond Int’l Raceway last month. Sources said that a Toyota deal “would not include the coveted Toyota Racing Development engine deal.” There has been talk that RPM “would make a nice fit with Richard Childress Racing similar to the alliance that Stewart-Haas Racing enjoys with Hendrick Motorsports” (MOTORSPORT.com, 5/17).

Return to top
Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug