Knight Officially Retires As Nike Board Chair NFL Cardinals' Amazon Series Debuts DeWalt Extends Sponsorship With Matt Kenseth Fox Sports' Sprint Cup Viewership Down 6% SBJ In-Depth: The Education Issue Tennis Could Be Blueprint For Olympic Golf NBA Names Spruell President Of League Operations Finishing Touches Being Put On Fort Bragg Field Source: Disney Buying 33% BAM Tech Stake Perrin Weighing Ticket Options
SBD/April 10, 2014/FacilitiesPrint All
AECOM execs who are designing the NBA Kings' proposed downtown arena "will present plans" today to a city commission "for a less bulky structure," according to a front-page piece by Tony Bizjak of the SACRAMENTO BEE. The reps "will offer the latest arena and plaza iterations" to Sacramento's Planning & Design Commission at City Hall for its approval." The commission then "will send its recommendations on the design to the City Council for a final review May 13." Architects will be "knocking about 15 feet off the eight-story structure’s height, and eliminating most of the building’s outward slant of about 20 feet at the top." AECOM Design Principal Rob Rothblatt said that this "gives the arena a more upright posture ... helping it fit better in downtown’s tight confines." With the new plans, the building "maintains the see-through look it had when presented publicly in late January." The building also "retains its unique half-block-long front entry, dominated by five glass aircraft hangar doors that can fold upward to create a five-story opening." Architects "made a few other plaza changes, including eliminating a planned sunken 'bosque' or quiet area, and eliminating plans for a permanent grandstand-like structure." Designers said that the changes "only slightly reduce the overall square footage of the building and do not reduce the number of seats, expected to be 17,500." Kings officials "declined to discuss the effect of the changes" on the building’s $448M price tag. However, Rothblatt said that architects "have been instructed to keep the budget at its current level." Kings President Chris Granger previously said that the budget "will not top" $448M (SACRAMENTO BEE, 4/10).
In San Diego, Mark Walker reports members of San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer's staff "sat down" yesterday with Chargers Special Counsel to the President Mark Fabiani for "preliminary talks about a new stadium" for the team. While "no major developments emerged, the meeting signals the city’s and Chargers’ desire to move stadium negotiations into a new phase." The Chargers "may be ready to talk about" the Qualcomm Stadium site in Mission Valley as the venue for a new stadium. One "emerging scenario suggests building a stadium" adjacent to Qualcomm Stadium, with the team "continuing to play there until the new one is complete" (SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE, 4/10).
PEDALING UPHILL: In Phoenix, Parker Leavitt reports plans for a $20M USA BMX HQs and race track in Gilbert "appear to be on hold as officials weigh residents' concerns about noise, traffic and funding against the potential for economic development and tourism." The project "would bring a 4,000-seat arena, museum and public park to 10 acres of town-owned land." USA BMX officials last year "selected Gilbert as the preferred site for its racing headquarters after a nationwide site-selection process, and negotiations on a development agreement have spanned several months" (ARIZONA REPUBLIC, 4/10).
TWO FOR ONE: In Daytona Beach, Eileen Zaffiro-Kean reported the planned One Daytona mixed-use project "has its first two tenants" in Cobb Theatres and Bass Pro Shops. The two businesses will "anchor the complex in one-of-a-kind modern structures expected to wow visitors." Atlanta-based Jacoby Development is "partnering with International Speedway Corp. on One Daytona" (Daytona Beach NEWS-JOURNAL, 4/9).