SBD/January 30, 2014/Franchises

Print All
  • Dodgers Forced To Halt Season-Ticket Sales Amid Mass Renewals From Current Holders

    Ninety-eight percent of the Dodgers' season-ticket holders renewed for '14

    Dodgers VP/Ticket Sales David Siegel said that the team had to "cut off season-ticket sales for the coming season," after more than 31,000 season tickets had "already been sold," according to J.P. Hoornstra of the L.A. DAILY NEWS. Siegel said that he "couldn't believe his eyes" when 98% of '13 season-ticket holders renewed their plans. The team "might choose to release more seats, but Siegel said that’s yet to be determined." Siegel: “We’re currently re-evaluating how we can launch in very short order." Dodger Stadium led MLB in attendance last season with an average of 46,216 per game, while season-ticket sales were "capped just short of 32,000." Meanwhile, two bars, restaurants and concession stands are "being added to a long list of stadium enhancements that were rolled out last year." Dodgers President & CEO Stan Kasten also "expects a long-awaited wifi network to be in place by Opening Day." Siegel believes the investments in infrastructure are "having a direct result on demand." Hoornstra notes the Dodgers' four-, three-, two- and one-star ticket classification system "also remains in place." Siegel said that fans "appreciated the transparency of the system, which replaced the more confusing variable-pricing format of years past." But there is "one change," as a game’s rating "might change based on demand, a twist on the popular 'dynamic pricing' system used by many teams" (L.A. DAILY NEWS, 1/30). In L.A., Bill Shaikin notes tickets for individual games go on sale tomorrow "with prices ranging from $10 to $150." The $10 top-deck ticket -- the "cheapest available -- will be available for 16 games, down from 49 last season." Those games "all are weekdays, with no promotional giveaways" (L.A. TIMES, 1/30).

    Print | Tags: Franchises, MLB, Los Angeles Dodgers
  • Tisch Says Giants Will Defend Themselves Against Lawsuit From Memorabilia Collector

    Tisch says the Giants feel there is no merit to the memorabilia lawsuit

    NFL Giants Treasurer Jonathan Tisch this morning, in response to a N.Y. Post story, said the franchise "will defend itself" against a lawsuit from a memorabilia dealer who alleges the team and QB Eli Manning knowingly created and sold fake game-worn items in order to keep the real ones for themselves. Appearing on WFAN-AM's "Boomer & Carton," Tisch said it was the "first I'm hearing of it," and that he could not comment on "any pending litigation." Tisch: "The Giants will always defend themselves." He said the charges against Manning are "only allegations," adding, "We know that he is a first-class guy, comes from a fantastic family." Tisch noted he was appearing on the program to talk about N.Y. hosting Super Bowl XLVIII ("Boomer & Carton," WFAN-AM, 1/30). In the original report, the N.Y. POST's Kaja Whitehouse notes memorabilia collector Eric Inselberg filed a lawsuit yesterday in Bergen County (N.J.) Superior Court alleging the team and Manning "created bogus 'game-worn' football gear to pass off as the real deal." Inselberg claims that a helmet supposedly worn by Manning during the team's Super Bowl XLII victory in '08 over the Patriots is "just one of dozens of fake items the football superstar and his Giants cohorts have created to fool fans and make money from collectors over the years." The documents allege that Manning "took part in the scheme so he could hang on to his personal items." The allegations are "part of a civil-racketeering, breach-of-contract, malicious-prosecution and trade-libel suit" (N.Y. POST, 1/30).

    Print | Tags: New York Giants, Franchises
Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug