Raiders File Paperwork To Move To Vegas NFL Seems More Comfortable With Vegas Johnson's Ambassadorship Leaves Jets In Flux Eagles' Lurie Becoming More Hands On Hornets Raising Season-Ticket Prices For '17-18 Yankees Embracing Youth Movement SHR Yet To Announce Anchor Sponsor For Bowyer Jose Bautista's Contract Has Attendance Incentive Chargers Hold L.A. Kickoff Ceremony At The Forum 76ers Rising In Merch Sales, Home Attendance
SBD/October 15, 2013/Franchises
MWR Cuts Third Sprint Cup Team In Wake Of Losing NAPA Sponsorship
Published October 15, 2013
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DRIVER'S SEAT: SPORTING NEWS' Bob Pockrass noted Kauffman "would not say if MWR looked to keep Truex at the expense of Vickers, who already has a contract with the team and sponsor Aaron's for next season." Vickers will "miss the final four races of 2013 because of a blood clot in his right calf." Kauffman said that Vickers' health is "their first concern and was not ready to talk about what the team would do if he can't return" for next season (SPORTINGNEWS.com, 10/14). Meanwhile, Fox' Larry McReynolds wondered where NAPA would go next season. McReynolds: "Do they follow Martin Truex Jr? Do they take a year off from the sport, which I would certainly hate to see?" ("NASCAR Race Hub," FS1, 10/14).
ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION? Kauffman discussed the Chase for the Sprint Cup and said, "It's not a matter of simply just being there. We wanted to make sure we were able to field even more competitive cars in the future. The team that won the championship last year (Penske Racing) had two cars, so it seems like that's something you can potentially strive do." ESPN's Ricky Craven said of Kauffman, "He has very good business sense and this announcement reflects that. Cutting back a team allows you to be more efficient, and even though you're giving up something on the top line as far as income, you're going to be more efficient and essentially could be faster" ("NASCAR Now," ESPN2, 10/14).