Bowlen Resigning Control Of Broncos A's Settle 10-Year Lease Extension With Oakland Rob Manfred Favorite To Succeed Selig Sterling Files Another Suit To Block Sale Bengals Owner Taking Back Seat In Running Team NFL Jets Nix Paper Tix, Introduce Rewards AT&T Rolling Out New Yankees Campaign Maple Leafs Name Kyle Dubas Assistant GM TFC-Tottenham Friendly Highlights Partnership John Harbaugh Uncertain On Rice Discipline
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBD/September 17, 2013/Franchises
Nationals' Rizzo Works Closely With Feds, DC Law Enforcement In Postponing Game
Published September 17, 2013
RIVALS WORK TOGETHER: Braves 3B Chris Johnson said that Nationals P Drew Storen and Braves P Brandon Beachy, the teams' player reps, agreed to call the MLBPA to "express the players’ desire to postpone the game." Johnson: “There was a lot of guys that didn’t want to play, thought it was kind of disrespectful to play. It’s right across the street. To be able to hear cheering, and supposedly they’re using a parking lot for families -- I don’t know. It should just be quiet for today." DC Mayor Vincent Gray said that he "wasn’t involved with every detail of the postponement, but that he wished the decision had been made earlier" (WASHINGTONPOST.com, 9/16). MLB Network's Richard Justice noted players told him that "this was a day to grieve out of respect to the dead, respect to the people who worked at the Navy Yard, people who were neighbors to this ballclub." Justice: "Part of the mission of this ballclub is to be a good citizens of this community, and they felt it just wouldn't have been right to play" ("MLB Tonight," MLBN, 9/16). MLB Net's Charlie Slowes said players on the two teams "started talking to each other via Twitter, via text, earlier in the day that it would be inappropriate to play this game." The Nationals "honor the military here every night in the fourth inning of each game, and you're right next to the Navy Yard where this tragedy took place" ("The Rundown," MLBN, 9/16). In DC, Kilgore & Wagner note the ballpark "sits roughly five blocks" from the Navy Yard. The American flag "will still be at half-mast, and uncertainty will still dominate the area beyond the outfield walls" during today's games (WASHINGTON POST, 9/17).
SAFETY FIRST: CSNWASHINGTON.com's Mark Zuckerman wrote the decision to postpone yesterday's game ultimately "came down to fan safety." With an ongoing investigation and search for additional gunmen, and "with a large swath directly to the east of Nationals Park still in lockdown, the notion of inviting 20,000-30,000 baseball fans to the area was untenable." There were other "logistical issues as well, most notably the use of one of the ballpark’s garages as a staging area for family members trying to reconnect [with] loved ones who work at the Navy Yard" (CSNWASHINGTON.com, 9/16). Justice wrote to play the game when DC had "just been battered by an act of incomprehensible evil would have made no sense" (MLB.com, 9/16). Police activity was visible around Nationals Park, and sirens "could be heard throughout the afternoon" (ESPN.com, 9/16).