Mets Unlikely To Make Another Splash In Free Agency Phillies Not Planning To Increase Payroll Sounders To Increase Capacity In '14 Dolphins Investigation Won't Wrap In '13 Blazers President Enjoys Busy First Year Redskins Sorting Through Shanahan Options MLB Attorneys: Selig Previously Denied A's Move Mariners GM Zduriencik Fires BacK IceArizona Generating Buzz For Coyotes Franchise Notes
SBD/September 9, 2013/Franchises
Chargers-Raiders Games May Switch Venues To Accommodate A's Playoff Contest
Published September 9, 2013
STADIUM STRUGGLES: San Diego interim Mayor Todd Gloria on Friday said that he is "moving forward" with the city's current $520M convention center expansion plan, as opposed to the Chargers' current stadium plan of building a joint-use stadium-convention center for the East Village. But in San Diego, Sharon Chen noted "moving forward with expansion of the convention center does not mean a new stadium for the Chargers is out of the question." Gloria: "The Chargers, we all know, are an enormous community resource" (FOX5SANDIEGO.com, 9/7). Meanwhile, in San Diego, Lori Weisberg wrote the Chargers' "latest move" of proposing the joint-use venue "opens the door to a major showdown next month when an alliance of city and business leaders, the San Diego Unified Port District and Convention Center Corp. make their case for a project they say will deliver a huge economic bonanza and attract the kinds of major shows and conferences that cannot fit within the current center." Gloria was "not dismissing the Chargers’ proposal for a joint-use facility with retractable roof." But he said that "too many unknowns remain, including financing, its design and how much of a contribution city taxpayers would be called upon to make." Weisberg wrote, "Still uncertain ... is just how the Chargers project would be financed" (SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE, 9/7).