SBD/August 28, 2013/Events and Attractions

Print All
  • Train Delays Lead To Late Arrival For U.S. Open Fans, But Provide Relief For Security Lines

    About 60% of the fans who will attend the Open will do so via public transportation

    Delays on the 7 train in N.Y. yesterday morning "led to scenes of sweaty fans waiting on train platforms, frustrated Tweets and much watch-checking, but may have provided some relief from the long security lines that ensnared" U.S. Open-goers on Monday, according to Pilon & Sablich of the N.Y. TIMES. For more than two hours, there "was no 7 train service between the Mets-Willets Point, the stop for the tennis center, and Flushing-Main Street to the east because of a switch problem." The stoppage caused "significant delays for the eastbound trains coming from Manhattan full of tennis fans." Service resumed around 11:00am ET, when the day session "was scheduled to start, but delays continued." By most accounts, the security situation on Day 2 "was much improved, perhaps because many of the fans who would have been in line were stuck on the 7 trains" (NYTIMES.com, 8/27). On Long Island, Alfonso Castillo notes fans who "don't take public transportation may be in for lengthy delays, dizzying traffic patterns and long walks." With more than "10,000 spots spread among 17 lots, there should be enough spaces to accommodate all motorists willing to pay the $20 parking fee." But Impark Assistant Manager Guy Breen said that parking at the U.S. Open "can get especially hectic on so-called 'conflict days,' when the Mets are playing across the street at Citi Field and some of the lots have to be shared." The USTA said that about 60% of the "estimated 700,000 tennis fans expected to attend the tournament will get to and from the Billie Jean King National Center in Flushing by public transportation" (NEWSDAY, 8/28).

    Print | Tags: Events and Attractions, Tennis, USTA
  • LPGA Safeway Classic Hit By Less Title Sponsor Involvement, Changes To '13 Calendar

    Safeway Classic officials expect smaller galleries this year, especially Saturday

    The LPGA Safeway Classic returns to Columbia Edgewater Country Club this week, a venue "well-liked by tour players," but it is "dealing with reduced involvement from its title sponsor and less-than-ideal dates," according to Mike Tokito of the Portland OREGONIAN. The event also has "halved its pro-am to one day, potentially cutting the proceeds of its biggest fund-raiser and endangering the tournament’s seven-year streak of contributing" at least $1M to local children’s charities. Tournament Golf Foundation President Tom Maletis, whose group coordinates the event, said, "It will have a financial impact on the tournament. Obviously, we’ve got a good product that we’re selling, we’ve got a good field, and we’re back at Columbia Edgewater. We’re going to do our best to minimize the losses that we may have.” TGF is running the tournament "under a one-year contract extension with Safeway, an arrangement it has operated under since the grocery chain’s long-time contract expired" in '10. But Safeway this year has "curtailed its involvement, no longer sponsoring a vendor’s tent or sending as many executives and vendors to enter the pro-am." The tournament this year because of the mid-August Solheim Cup was "pushed back into Labor Day weekend and into an overlap with Saturday’s college football openers for Oregon and Oregon State." Maletis said that attendance "could take a hit, especially Saturday" (Portland OREGONIAN, 8/28).

    Print | Tags: Events and Attractions, LPGA, Golf
  • As The Wheel Turns: Ecclestone Now Says F1 N.J. Event Could Get Green Light

    F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone "still believes" the inaugural Grand Prix of America in New Jersey could "find a place on the 2014 F1 calendar, despite having told a journalist last week that the race may not happen due to lack of funds," according to Adam Cooper of FOXSPORTS.com. A '14 F1 schedule is "expected to emerge" around Sept. 27, which Ecclestone said is “more or less” the cut-off point for New Jersey. Ecclestone said, "They have a contract. If they can comply with the contract, we want to be there. If they come to me next week, and show they have complied with whatever it should be, it’s alright. They’ve got to finish the circuit, so they need to pay, and they need to comply with the conditions for us.” He added, "We’ve been mucking around and waiting long enough. We’ve compromised enough. We sent them 10 million to pay some of their debts, and keep the doors open, so we’re a little bit serious" (FOXSPORTS.com, 8/27).

    Print | Tags: Events and Attractions, Formula One
Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug