Ad Inventory For NCAA Tourney 95% Sold Sporting KC Unveils '14 TV Schedule Steedman Named AEG Facilities COO OSU Partners With Sporting Innovations Yahoo Named MLB.com's Fantasy Game Cuban To Visit USF Sport Management Program Details Emerge About Rio Games Golf Fields Torrey Pines Likely To Host '21 U.S. Open Ross Wants To Pay For Stadium Upgrade Martha Ford Takes Over Lions Ownership
SBD/April 30, 2013/FranchisesPrint All
The NBA moved a significant step closer in deciding the fate of the Kings when the league’s relocation committee yesterday unanimously recommended that the NBA BOG deny the application of the Kings to relocate to Seattle. The full NBA BOG will vote on the recommendation during the week of May 13. Relocation requires a majority (16) vote. While the recommendation does not formally seal the fate of the Seattle group’s bid led by hedge fund manager Chris Hansen and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, it serves as a blow to the group’s effort to move the team (John Lombardo, Staff Writer). In Sacramento, Kasler, Lillis & Bizjak in a front-page piece note while "clearly elated, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson was careful not to declare victory at a press conference attended by cheering fans." It "remained unclear" yesterday whether Kings Owner the Maloof family would "accept the backup offer from a group of investors angling to keep the Kings in Sacramento." There was "no word" yesterday on whether the Maloofs and Kings bidder and Warriors Vice Chair Vivek Ranadive were "any closer to making a deal." Johnson said that he "didn't know when the Sacramento contingent would attempt to nail down the deal with the Maloofs." A source said that the Ranadive group "intends to put 50 percent of the purchase price in an escrow account by Friday." The source also said that Qualcomm founder the Jacobs brothers would "become vice chairmen of the Kings, assuming the Ranadive purchase is completed." The NBA finance advisory committee "didn't vote on whether to approve the actual sale to Hansen and Ballmer." It "wasn't clear why" (SACRAMENTO BEE, 4/30).
NOT DONE YET: In Seattle, Bob Condotta in a front-page piece notes Hansen last night released a statement "saying the battle is not over." Johnson said, "I still think Seattle is deserving of an NBA team. Just not ours.” NBA Commissioner David Stern was "seen as helping Sacramento revamp its ownership group ... to get into position to make a bid that could keep the team" (SEATTLE TIMES, 4/30). SPORTSPRESSNW.com's Art Thiel noted Hansen said that he will "see through his purchase" of the Kings and that he has "numerous options." Hansen: "We plan to unequivocally state our case for both relocation and our plan to move forward with the transaction to the league and owners at the upcoming Board of Governors meeting in mid-May.” Hansen "did not specify his options." It has been "speculated that a denial of relocation could be grounds for a claim of tortious interference with the transaction" between Hansen and the Maloof family. But litigation against the NBA is "considered by some legal experts a risky maneuver to get in the door" (SPORTSPRESSNW.com, 4/29). NBA.com's David Aldridge wrote it is "not clear what steps the league could take if the Maloofs opt not to negotiate with the Ranadive group or sell to it." Stern "reiterated earlier this month that the league does generally allow owners to sell to whomever they want, provided the new owners' finances are in place, even though the league decides whether teams will be allowed to move." What Hansen and Seattle "do from here is unclear." Sources said that legal action against the NBA is a "near impossibility, given that the NBA requires prospective owners to sign agreements that prohibit them from taking legal action if their bids are denied" (NBA.com, 4/29).
FROM THE COMMISSIONER'S DESK: Stern during last night's Pacers-Hawks game said, "I didn't see a unanimous vote coming, but they decided that as strong as the Seattle bid was, and it was very strong, there's some benefit that it should be given to a city that has supported us for so long and has stepped up to contribute to building a new building as well.” Stern said the “discussion” for a possible expansion team in Seattle “will have to wait for (NBA Deputy Commissioner & COO Adam Silver) to oversee. Right now, expansion is not on the agenda. But I would never say never and we'll see what happens. It doesn't make a lot of sense unless we know what the new TV deal is” (“Pacers-Hawks,” NBA TV, 4/29).
TO THE INCUMBENT GO THE SPOILS: USA TODAY's Sam Amick writes the "power of incumbency ultimately helped Sacramento's cause more than anything else." With Stern "set to retire next February, he had no desire to see a sixth team change cities during his 30-year tenure." That position is "backed by the league's bylaws, which, in essence, only make it possible for a team to relocate when the current market has proved to be untenable" (USA TODAY, 4/30). SI.com's Ian Thomsen wrote if the Maloofs are "shortchanged and if the new ownership of the Kings struggles to build an arena as planned in downtown Sacramento, then this is going to go down as a highly controversial decision that was set forth by Stern." But it should "come as no major surprise that Sacramento will be keeping its team." In the end, the NBA has "held fast to its newfound principle of not abandoning loyal markets." It is a "good principle." However, with more franchises "expected to be sold in the years ahead, it remains to be seen whether the NBA will move forward consistent and true -- or whether Seattle will look back someday and realize it was a victim to the exception instead of the rule" (SI.com, 4/29). ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst noted the NBA's relocation committee is headed by Thunder Owner Clay Bennett, "already a reviled figure in Seattle." The other members on the committee are Heat Owner Micky Arison, Wizards Owner Ted Leonsis, Jazz CEO Greg Miller, Pacers Owner Herb Simon, T'Wolves Owner Glen Taylor and Spurs Owner & NBA BOG Chair Peter Holt (ESPN.com, 4/30). In a roundtable discussion, ESPN's J.A. Adande writes he does not agree with the BOG's vote "because it's not in the league's best interests for the long term." Adande: "Did you see the $2 billion local TV deal the Seattle Mariners just landed? That kind of money isn't available in Sacramento." ESPN's Larry Coon writes as the "incumbent, Sacramento deserved the opportunity to do all the things necessary to keep the team in town, which it appears they did." Meanwhile, ESPN's Windhorst writes Seattle is a "better market and if you were placing an expansion team between the cities, you'd pick Seattle." But Sacramento did "everything it could do to keep the team, something Seattle did not do in 2008" (ESPN.com, 4/29).
KEVIN'S CRUSADE: In Seattle, Jayson Jenks writes the effort to keep the Kings in Sacramento has been Johnson's "crusade stretching months and even years." Johnson said that he "doesn't know what the next step in the process is, but he said he expects the team's new ownership group to be in constant talks with the NBA." He received a "glowing reception when he walked into" his press conference yesterday. Some in the crowd started chanting "Sac-ra-ment-o!" and someone yelled "run for governor!" (SEATTLE TIMES, 4/30). NBA.com's Scott Howard-Cooper writes it was a "moment beyond words." Owners "never go against the wishes of one of their own wanting to sell, as long as the money checks out. Period. It just doesn’t happen. And yet it just did." There was "no reason for the relocation committee to turn down what appeared to be a dream bid from Seattle ... except one. The opponent" (NBA.com, 4/30). In Sacramento, Marcos Breton writes Johnson "has really done something here." He has "prodded and pressed and strategically angled to put Sacramento in the driver's seat to keep a valuable regional asset and its only major league sports franchise" (SACRAMENTO BEE, 4/30). The WALL STREET JOURNAL's Matthew Futterman writes it is "one of the more remarkable comebacks in NBA history" (WALL STREET JOURNAL, 4/30). In Sacramento, Ailene Voisin writes the city "pulled off the comeback that beats all comebacks" (SACRAMENTO BEE, 4/30).
PLAYING BY THE RULES? In Seattle, Jerry Brewer writes under the header, "NBA Changes The Rules, Breaks Hearts Of Seattle Fans Again." Sonics fans five years ago when the team left for Oklahoma City "learned that loyalty didn't matter." Now, loyalty "helped Sacramento keep the Kings." Brewer: "What kind of system is this?" Who "turns down an ownership group of Hansen, Steve Ballmer and Erik and Peter Nordstrom, which would've immediately been one of the strongest and wealthiest in the league?" Who "allows two cities to engage in an epic bidding war with preposterous millions thrown around and then doesn't have the foresight to consider expansion?" Stern "used Seattle as a pawn to find local ownership in Sacramento and revive a dead arena plan." The NBA is a "liar's game, full of hypocrites, improper alliances, a lack of financial creativity and a commissioner who is more powerful than the owners he represents." Stern "revises the rules according to his whims." It "seems Seattle was destined to lose in this ever-changing game. We're back in a familiar place with that spirit-crushing league" (SEATTLE TIMES, 4/30). SPORTSPRESSNW.com's Thiel wrote Stern "didn’t want to make the same mistake twice." But rather than "screw over a second city with relocation, he has screwed over, at least temporarily, the same city twice." The fact that the NBA found "no significant flaws in the proposal by Hansen, and was the better financial deal, was never going to be enough to trump Sacramento’s incumbency -- as long as the counteroffer came close" (SPORTSPRESSNW.com, 4/29).
BUCK STOPS HERE? In Milwaukee, Don Walker wrote the NBA's vote to keep the Kings in Sacramento "has some people talking again" about the Bucks. Legal analyst Michael McCann last night in an e-mail wrote that the "lack of a movement for a new arena in Milwaukee makes the Bucks a potential target for an out-of-town owner." McCann wrote, "While Sen. (Herb) Kohl has squashed rumors he would sell the Bucks, those rumors seem to pop up with enough regularity there may be something there." But McCann wrote that the "more likely outcome is the Bucks staying put in Milwaukee, with a new arena" (JSONLINE.com, 4/29).
The Sabres have been "taken to task by fans for a 4 percent increase in season tickets -- which was announced in a letter most ticket holders received on Friday, mere hours before the team’s Fan Appreciation Night finale" against the Islanders, according to Mike Harrington of the BUFFALO NEWS. Sabres President Ted Black "defended the team’s decision as a necessity caused by the NHL’s new collective bargaining agreement and said the team needed to continue to qualify for the NHL’s revenue sharing program." Black "did apologize to fans for the timing of the ticket hike." He said, "If the timing was insulting? Absolutely. ... The suggestion we timed it that way is completely untrue." He said, "We’re the smallest U.S.-based market in the NHL. Revenue sharing exists for a market just like Buffalo. ... The obligation to grow as a league as a whole still exists. It’s not a written obligation but that’s what we’re trying to do -- grow league revenues." Additionally, for the first time, Black "pointedly detailed the team’s management structure by insisting he is equal to" GM Darcy Regier and "not his boss" (BUFFALO NEWS, 4/30). In N.Y., Larry Brooks wrote the Sabres organization is the "winner" of the "2013 Chutzpah Award." The scale of "audacity just doesn’t register any higher than it does in Buffalo, where after just a couple of seasons in which, by the way, the Sabres have failed to qualify for the playoffs, Terry Pegula has gone from the Peoples’ Owner to, well, the Owner of the People." The letter to Sabres season-ticket holders read in part, "As part of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement with our players, all teams must produce revenue primarily through ticket sales in order to keep the stability of the league and its franchises strong." Brooks: "Is Buffalo ownership suggesting this CBA places the burden on Sabres’ season ticket-holders to keep the league stable?" (N.Y. POST, 4/28). In Buffalo, Jerry Sullivan writes the notion that Pegula "needs the revenue-sharing to keep the franchise viable is a joke." Having the letters "show up in mailboxes on Fan Appreciation Night was a flat outrage" (BUFFALO NEWS, 4/30).
NO PAIN, NO GAIN? In Buffalo, John Vogl notes the Sabres "insist they have a winning plan." Once again, "they will have Regier implement it," as Black yesterday confirmed he will "remain as general manager next season." Regier said, "The reality of it is if I didn't have the confidence that I in the general manager's position, along with the people I work with, could accomplish building a Stanley Cup winner, I wouldn't be here." Regier's definitive plan involves "rebuilding through the draft, which mirrors Black's recent comments." Regier said that the Sabres' "new vision for winning their first Cup came about as a collective effort." Pegula "helped form and endorse it." Regier's emphasis on the draft "comes after failed attempts to contend through free agency and trades" (BUFFALO NEWS, 4/30). Regier yesterday said, "I’d like to think that people will give up some suffering in order to win the Stanley Cup. I’m willing to do it. I believe our fan base is willing to do it." The BUFFALO NEWS' Sullivan writes, "How reassuring it must be for fans to know that Regier is ready to suffer for the cause." The more critical fans "would suggest that they have suffered quite enough." Sullivan: "What do you call missing the playoffs four times in the last six years?" (BUFFALO NEWS, 4/30). In Buffalo, Bucky Gleason wrote Pegula "thought he would make Buffalo an attractive destination for players, but all the losing has turned it into a place many avoid." Fans came back "after being told the Sabres would be better and watched them get worse." Gleason: "Will they come back next year and invest in a team going nowhere?" Gleason writes "apparently all that rhetoric about keeping people accountable doesn't apply to the general manager." And the Sabres "wonder why people around the league think the organization is a joke" (BUFFALO NEWS, 4/27).
The Raptors, who are "emboldened by the news" that the NBA Kings "apparently won't be moving to Seattle, have ramped up their pursuit of Phil Jackson to be their new team president," according to sources cited by Stein & Shelburne of ESPN.com. Sources said that the Raptors "regarded the Seattle group that was trying to buy the Kings as the biggest threat to preventing Jackson from seriously considering their pitch." Sources also said that the Raptors "will be pursuing Jackson aggressively this week, believing that they rank as Jackson's most attractive current option for a new career in management now that he can reunite" with MLSE President & CEO Tim Leiweke. Raptors President & GM Bryan Colangelo is "scheduled to meet with the MLSE board next week in hopes of convincing his bosses to pick up the option year on his contract" (ESPN.com, 4/30). CBSSPORTS.com's Ken Berger cites a source as saying that Jackson "will listen to a pitch" from the Raptors, but also "wants to explore options with other potential suitors." A source said that Jackson is "keeping his options open but seems to prefer a role similar to [Basketball HOFer] Jerry West's advisory role with the Golden State Warriors over a team presidency" similar to that of Heat President Pat Riley. Jackson has "grown more open-minded in recent weeks to entertaining any and all offers to employ him in an influential capacity." Sources said that several teams "already have reached out through backchannels, and Jackson plans to listen to them all." The "key component of a potential Jackson return would be the ability to hire a head coach who would implement his vision" (CBSSPORTS.com, 4/30).
The Dodgers' bobblehead giveaways are “so popular” that the club was “forced to implement a new policy: one bobblehead for each ticketed fan,” according to Nick Green of the L.A. DAILY NEWS. That is because some fans last season "would buy up multiple inexpensive bleacher seats entitling them to bobbleheads for each at the gate -- and some would even leave with their prized souvenirs without watching the game.” But that also “meant thousands of fans left the sold-out venue empty-handed -- only 50,000 bobbleheads are produced for each game -- and vented their displeasure at the ball club.” The first Dodgers bobblehead giveaway this season is scheduled for tonight. Dodgers Senior Ticket Sales Dir David Siegel said, "It's just been pretty amazing. In Los Angeles, bobbleheads resonate more with this market than any other across the entire country." The team this year “will give away bobbleheads at 10 games that are each expected to sell out the 56,000-capacity ballpark, just as they did last season.” Meanwhile, the MLS Galaxy also will “get in on the action this year by hosting three bobblehead nights for the first time in a decade that are similarly expected to sell out.” The first, featuring F Landon Donovan, is "set for Sunday's game.” Bobbleheads have “a surprising staying power that not only appears to be persisting, but also is growing.” The “most prized bobbleheads are those given away for free at baseball games.” Siegel said that the Dodgers “even sell mini-game plans just for the games where they give away bobbleheads; with 13,000 subscribers, it's their most popular mini-plan.” The club “creates entire marketing campaigns around bobbleheads both leading up to the game and during it that are embraced by players, fans and even the staff” (L.A. DAILY NEWS, 4/30).
The Warriors have "stepped up their social media game to take advantage of the spotlight afforded by the team's second playoff appearance in the past 19 years," according to Benny Evangelista of the S.F. CHRONICLE. The Warriors are using "various forms of digital and social media to create their own direct-to-consumer news and information channels." Over the past two years, the club has been "expanding the team's social presence to reach fans wherever they are." The team also is "now using Twitter's new Vine app to post instant six-second video clips with exclusive action both during and between games." It also uses content "from an in-house TV reporter and its broadcasting department to produce a constant stream of video on YouTube." Warriors Dir of Digital Marketing Kevin Cote said, "We view ourselves as content creators now. It's not just about all the good news. We're still employees of the team, but we want to be trusted sources." The Warriors also "aggregate fan-provided Twitter and Instagram photos marked '#WarriorsGround' for display on the main arena scoreboard and on the Warriors.com website." In the past two years, the team has "expanded its digital media marketing staff from two to five." Cote said, "When new ownership took over, they not only realized how important digital was at the time, but how it was going to continue to grow. We didn't want to be people who just sold tickets. We also wanted to provide them content, not just with fluff pieces, but to be authentic and transparent." The Warriors have added "about 200,000 new social media followers this season, which is a team record." As of yesterday, the Warriors had "429,500 Facebook followers and nearly 193,900 Twitter followers" (S.F. CHRONICLE, 4/30).